1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Random 1x15 cab looks ghetto, sounds beautiful

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrewfwright, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Andrewfwright

Andrewfwright

Jun 14, 2012
    :help:I bought this thing around 6 years ago not knowing a thing about bass amplification, really.

[​IMG]
    View through the back:
    [​IMG]
    View OF the back:
    [​IMG]
    View of the side:
    [​IMG]

It puts my markbass 12" speaker to shame.

Can anyone tell who made it?

2. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    From the angle of the front of the cab, I'd hazard a guess it was a Tube Works. Who then turned into Genz Benz.

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I have an old Carvin 15'' that looks very similar..it's not slanted like the one pictured. But everything else is identical.

4. Look like an old Crate to me.

5. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Looks like a JBL E140..... of course it sounds good, that's one of the most sought-after bass speakers of all time. :D

Edit: Looks like a smaller magnet D140 on second glance. Regardless... those old JBL's are serious business.

6. Back in the day Crate did make a line with JBL speakers. Hmmm.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I remember those JBL-loaded Crates, but the one I used was a front-ported straight-sided box.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Radio Shack??

9. If it weren't for the fact that bassists are suckers for novelty, we'd all still be playing 115 and 215 cabs and never sounding nasal or tinny, just laying down the bottom. It seems hard to screw up a cab for 15s unless your goal is to make it smaller than a refrigerator or some similar heresy.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    If you can pull the speaker and find the manufacturer/date code off of it, we could at least help ID the speaker.

11. akdmx

akdmx

May 15, 2009
    That looks like my old Crate cabinet:

[​IMG]

It has the same grill material, similar looking driver, similar cloth covering and corners. The jack plate and side carrying handles aren't shown, but also looked familiar.

Mine was technically from their PA line of cabs, which might explain the port, or the plastic covering along the edges.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have an old Tube Works 410t and it looks sort of like your cab but not really. And the only 115 I remember them making was square and the same size as a 410. No edge guards on the top like that Crate, no slanted back. So I think TW can be ruled out. But really, who cares about anything except the sound? Have fun!

13. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    The speaker is neither a jbl E140 nor D140. The JBL's had much larger dust covers and voice coils 4" Also the D140 had an alnico magnet with a cover over the magnet. Looks more like an old Altec to me with the smaller aluminum dust cover and non ribbed cone.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not too sure about the Altec's either. I have a 418B and a 416, both of which look sort of similair from the front, small coil, aluminum cap, etc. but the magnet doesn't look right, and of course, the big white, claw looking frame. It might be an Altec I guess, but not from the era/design I'm thinking of. Admittedly, I'm no Altec guru by any means and it could be from a different model line.

My 418B is quite loud, but midrangey and distorts early on bass. The 416 is in a Gretsch (GMS by Gretsch) steel guitar amp and sounds good in that application. The 418 seems like it would make a better guitar/steel speaker as well, although not as bright and crisp as the 416. Still plenty bright and crisp by bass speaker standards.

15. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Ok Fine, you got me. Maybe A D130F, but the dust cap DOES look smaller...

d130_used_03.jpg

sans sticker on the back.
    [​IMG]

16. Is it an early Bullfrog?

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not a Genz Benz, not a JBL driver of any kind, not an Altec driver.

18. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think this sums up the best viewpoint.

19. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Maybe a reconed JBL ? I had one once that was a recone job without the JBL sticker on the magnet. That cork edge and aluminum dustcap sure looks the part.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wrong magnet type for any older JBL.

To me it looks a little bit like an older Foster K series but even that's a stretch.