Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Random Accugroove observation/trivia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 22, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Played an opener last week with my full rig, which includes two Whappo Jr. cabs I stack on their sides. Couldn't help but notice that the height of the two stacked cabs was, best I could judge, exactly the same as the height of the Ampeg 8x10 the headlining bassist was using.

So, inasmuch as the Ampeg 8x10 is the gold standard for bass rig altitude, you can duplicate that with a pair of Jr.'s

Earth-shattering, landmark news, I tell 'ya, folks!

;)

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, each Jr. is 24" wide, and the Ampeg fridge is 48" tall, so the math does, indeed, support your visual estimate! :D

I am looking forward to seeing just how ridiculous my Jr. and Tri 210L look sitting on top of a Gordo! :bassist:

3. Secretdonkey

Did your rig completly blow the 8x10 away or were there a few bits left on stage by the time you had finished. ;)

Matthew

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    :D Altitude is everything

Tombowlus suddenly realizes that his next purchase will have to be a CRANE!

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ROTFL!!!

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Never owned an SVT but I used to plug in & play every time I visited the VOX Box (Marshall, MO). I'd pick a pair of Jr's over the Ampeg any day. One Jr. is nice, but two would just have to sound awsome (and provide a sonic body-massage)!
    Sir Bowlus, what is a Gordo? Have you built that bass gear warehouse yet? ;)

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Gordo is a now out-of-production 1x18 from Accugroove. Not many were made, but for what I have in mind, it's perfect! My goal is to power the Jr. (and maybe the Jr. plus the Tri 210L) with a tube amp (DB 728), while sending another signal (possibly low freq. only) to a SS amp (CA9) driving the Gordo, for the best of both worlds! Tube growl, with tight SS lows!

As for the "wharehouse", it used to be "Tom's basement music room", and was a 4th bedroom before that, but at this point, there's not a lot of room to do much of anything in there! :meh:

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Tom,

Are you going to be using the same pre for all the cabs? Just wondering...

~S~

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm thinking yes, at this point. I will probably use the DB 680. I think I will start off trying a full range signal to the Jr./210L and use the low freq. output from the crossover to the Gordo.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Should sound damn groovy! Now you're entering the "Devils Territory", LOL! The soundman will surely take away your DI/mike when you cart that on stage!

~S~

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Lucky for me, at most of our gigs, I am the sound man! :D :bassist:

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...then ya got it "made in the shade" my man...

cheers,
    ~S~

PS: Now I just hope you have a VERY loud band or understanding members...

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Believe it or not, I do try to keep all the instruments and vocals in good balance, and I do try to keep the overall PA volume to the minimum required to reach that balance in a given room. But even at moderate volumes, amp/cab overkill can give you better tone. Then again, I have some rooms where just two VL-208's and my WWU sound better than anything else (and that's what I take).