1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Random coincidences

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mycranium, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Okay, so a few weeks back I'm at the L.A. Public Library, and I get in the elevator to go back to the main floor. The walls of the elevator were covered with old cards from the card catalogs, behind plexiglass. There's a narrow window in the side wall of the elevator, and the wall of the elevator shaft outside the window is also covered with old cards. So just as the elevator stops I look through the window, and exactly at my eye level there's the card for a bass book by Chuck Rainey. Well Rainey happens to be my last name too (although I'm pretty sure I'm not related to Chuck) and I had come across his name before, which is cool but ultimately kind of meaningless except it's a funny coincidence. But seeing it right at eye level when I randomly looked over there was pretty funny.

So today I'm looking on the Internet to see if I can figure out how to find out whether my dad's estate is out of probate. I'd rather not contact the executor of the estate because she's a paranoid schizophrenic control-freak bee atch, but I thought I could find a path to getting some public records about it. I wasn't having any luck, so I searched on my dad's name, which was Max, and I came across this reference:

"This trio had formerly been The Lingsmen, based in the Port Aransas/Rockport area (they also played Kerrville a lot). The Lingsmen's vocalist had been Max Rainey; apparently he was also the bass player, but he seems to have quit The Lingsmen not long before Hall connected the remaining three members with Erickson. Thurman had previously played electric violin in The Lingsmen; he abandoned this talent in the new group."

From http://www.flagpole.com/Issues/09.23.98/ort.html

After Max left the group they got a new vocalist and changed their name to The 13th Floor Elevators.

It definitely was NOT my dad, but I thought it was interesting. I'm not really superstitious, but if I were I would definitely think the universe was telling me that playing bass is part of my destiny.

-M

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Was it Raineying outside?

3. You're going to have to try harder than that.

Unless you're eight.

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    If I say I'm 7 then I get 2 gold stars right?

5. Darn this new-fangled outcome-based education!

Yes, but only after you pass a standardized test.

And you have to prove you're seven by showing me your driver license. (This is another kind of test, btw.)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hmm...is it a coincidence that a thread about random coincidence started at this forum and the other forum I frequent within a week of eachother?

7. Thanks for the link.

I think Jung's concept of synchronicity is inordinately convoluted and there are systems of thought that do a much better, less trippy job of understanding such events.

-Mike

8. This is far to obvious for me to make up. I swear this actually happened.

I finished typing my "I don't believe in synchronicity" response, then I got a call from a store that something I ordered had come in. So I get in the car and start driving. The main radio station I listen to was playing something boring, so I punch the preset button for the classical station. Silence - between movements I guess. So I punch the button for the classic rock station and I hear...

"Many miles away
    something crawls from the slime
    at the bottom of a dark
    Scottish lake"

:eek:

Yes. It really happened.

I am not making this up.

I still don't believe in Jung's synchronicity, but the Police version definitely exists.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I don't get it. Maybe its because I don't know Sting's real name.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    random coincidences happen to me more than most people i think :meh:

the most distressing was recently on the tube when i was bitching about this girl from my old school to a friend who was visiting me from uni (who used to be friends with her).

i was saying how mean she was to me at school, because i was two years younger than her and had a better mohawk, while hers was floppy and tragically goth.

anyway, we got off the train to change lines and of all the 7 million people in london, SHE was there, walking towards us :mad:

carrying on her tradition of hating me, she hugged my friend and said "what are you doing with her? oh james *shakes head*" then walked off.

oh god, i was so angry with her.

haha, sorry for that rant :p

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I walked into a music store and found my first bass for sale once.