Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Random Curiousity - Anybody else a Christian?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BioDragoon, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Kinda sparked when I thought of the "Jesus Music" topic in the Miscellaneous boards....

When it comes to music, I enjoy worship songs and I enjoy playing their bass lines (which I'll be doing next year for our worship team at school)...but I'm not a fan of "newer" Christian music...

I think the only exception is Relient K.

Now, NOT pertaining to music...

I am a Christian :) I could definitely be living a cleaner life, but I'm working on it. Anybody else?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Nope, and I don't think this is allowed.

Oh well. It doesn't really bother me anyway.

3. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    I looked over the rules, and from what I interpreted, it seems that asking a question this open isn't offensive...whereas stating something about another religion or making silly "[x] VS [y]" topics would be...

If I was incorrect in understanding that, then please delete this topic :smug: I meant no harm/offense.

4. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    To be honest I am agnostic.

5. i am pretty sure you are going to have to pay at least $20 to talk about this one!!

6. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    ......ugh. Fine. But I hope you know this is taking food away from my starving dog.

*dishes out the green*

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well I'll certainly allow it. However, I'm not the mod that gets to make that decision.

8. I'm a Christian.

I've been raised a protestant, but I've been reading into catholicism alot lately. I can't/won't label myself a certain denomination, just a catchall "christian" works fine for me.

I used to play guitar in a youth worship band at a baptist church I used to attend. Ugh, some of the most bland, insipid music I've ever had to play. Their heart is in the right place, but again, ugh.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The question is, Is anyone here a Christian? If someone asked is anyone here an agnostic? I might read the thread, I wouldn't post there. It's not for me, if someone ask a question about brake pads on a 60 chevy, I don't reply, not my area of expertise! The question was not, What do you think of Christians? ANYONE WHO IS OFFENDED BY THE ORIGINAL QUESTION SHOULD GET OVER THEMSELVES! By the way, yes I am, although a struggling one at times, including this time. And there are many others throughout TB. Some dam nice agnostics too! :cool:

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I used to be, but I kinda gave up on that stuff. :meh:

11. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    A bit random, but I love these forums. After only 3 days here, I can look at any topic and not be disgusted by pointless crud presented in other forums.

And yeah...as for the struggles...I just may be the only (going into senior year) high schooler that hasn't had any illegal substances ;) It's just keeping it cool with my girlfriend that's a bit harder. Yay, being a male!

12. Not really, although I was raised that way. I'm not exactly spiritual and I don't really know or care whether there is a spiritual being (god or otherwise) who created us or watches over us. Guess you could say I'm agnostic. I'm just more about creating my own beliefs and living a good life, not just limiting myself to one set of morals. I respect everyone's beliefs, as long as they aren't closed-minded about the issue. This last part is the key to the co-existence of religion in the world and I believe that everyone, religious or not, should give it some thought.

13. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Eh, close-minded always caught my attention. If by close-minded you mean narrow about the belief, I think that's kind of a shaky call. Believing that 3+4=7 is narrow...there's only one real answer. As opposed to accepting everybody's beliefs as true (yay for philisophical pluralism)...where 3+4=30 if the person pleased :D

14. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX

not me

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, I'm a non-denominational Christian.

The type of music played is pretty much up to the worship leader. The first church that I ever played regularly at had a worship leader who had a degree in jazz performance (on bass) and used to be a pro bassist (mostly upright). He had very interesting and sometimes difficult arrangements and songs. It was a lot of fun and I really improved during that time. Now the church where I play bass doesn't have as unique of a worship leader but I still really enjoy sitting in the groove and trying to add to the music and worship. It's a lot of fun and we have a couple of talented musicians such as our violin player.

brad cook

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm a Christian.

I'm the primary bass player on our worship team. At the end of July I will be rotating back and forth one week on drums one week on bass so one of the other guys can play bass.

I prefer the newer stuff though. I'm still trying to get some MxPx, RelientK , and TFK mixed into a Sunday service. Probably won't happen... oh well.
    Although I almost got them to consider doing "Tomorrows another day"...Pastor thought it was a little to much for church...

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yep. Trying to be the best I can.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was a Christian for 5 years, but then I made a conscious decision to deny the claims of Christianity. Why? Well, I dont really want to get into all of that except to say that after 5 years of study and research I came to the conclusion that the theology is false, IMHO.

I still think the Bible is powerful, beautifully written literature though.

Now, I would call myself an *almost Buddhist*.

19. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Nope, am not, never will be either. I disagree with almost everything except a few of the ten commandments. Thou Shalt Not Kill and Love Thy Neighbour are about all I need to live on, and I don't need to know anything else.

Simplicity is key.

I think you'll find that most people on TalkBass are christian though - after seeing some of the other posts related to this things can get quite heated, and inevitably get shut down.

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "simplicity is key"

I agree 1000%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.