1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Random Effects Usage 2 SOUNDCLIPS NEW

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Aug 30, 2007.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    So I found a blast from the past today, two songs I recorded years ago when I was still new to the bass. I thought they were cool enough to share, but when you listen to these I ask you to excuse some things:

1) While my phrasing was there, my technique certainly was not, so you're going to hear a lot of bad timing etc. My playing has of course since improved, but my point is not to let the bad timing and shaky chops get in the way of you hearing what I was going for at the time.

2) Terrible production quality. I did these myself before I had any insight into how to make a decent production, and in very little time (about a half hour). Everything was done in one take. The basses are fed directly to a soundcard, and I think they sound like crap in comparison to what I get in a real studio with my amps.

That's enough disclaimer so onto the clips. The first song is a PSYCHEDELIC BAROQUE style thing I wrote. It takes it's title from the character from the Shakespeare play Midsummer Night's Dream, as the piece was meant to reflect the characteristics of Puck. For this recording I used an Ibanez studio bass with Bartolini Humbuckers into an EBS Unichorus and a Guyatone MD-3 Digital Delay. The chords have just the chorus, the lead has both. The form is much like a jazz piece; written head, improvised solos, written head. Be sure to listen to this in stereo.

http://media.putfile.com/Puck-26

Ok so if you're still with me, the next thing uses more effects. It's a kind of latin-ish jam thing. There's more parts to this one. I used a crappy Jazz Bass. The bass line is done with a Phase 100 and a lot of EQ (bass boost, treble cut) for a nice rubbery, mellow sound. The chords are through some kind of Uni-Vibe effect, I think I used a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe because my real Univibe was too noisy. The percussion bass is clean, and the lead part uses the EBS Unichorus and Guyatone MD-3 again, but this time there's some Whammy on there too towards the end. It's also important to listen to this one in stereo.

http://media.putfile.com/Ecos-44

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm at work right now. In a conference. So I'll listen to the clips later. But you're explanations of what you were going for, especially the reference to Puck, had me choking on my coffee. LMAO. :D

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Psychedilic Baroque. It's for real. You'll see.

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I guess the world isn't ready for it. Hahaha