1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Random fluctuations in amp volume, help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tryptophan13, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Tryptophan13

Tryptophan13

Feb 27, 2008
    York
    I recently bought a Tanglewood Rebel 4K and a Carlsbro Bass Beaver amp, both second hand from a reputable dealer.

The rig sounds fine apart from this, but quite often (every few minutes or so), the amp will suddenly cut so that I can hardly hear the sound (the sound is still coming out of the amp but really quietly). This continues for a short while and then sorts itself out. Switching the amp on then off also restores the sound.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to why this might be happening? If so is there any way that it can be fixed, or should i just try and get my money back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Take it back to the dealer.

3. Yes.. I do have an idea. The Master volume or the Channel (preamp) volume pot sounds like it needs some 'TLC' in the form of some electronics cleaner w/lubricant. Just carefully spray some into the pot. The cleaner/lub needs to be quickly worked in before it drys however. I have corrected some various combos with very similar issues before.

4. Tryptophan13

Tryptophan13

Feb 27, 2008
    York
    @ Rattman: Where could i find "electronics cleaner w/lubricant"? Are there any brands that you can recommend?
    Thank you for your help

5. Go into an electrical shop or DIY style place, and ask if they have any electrical contract cleaner

6. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    This is probably not a dirty pot - turning the amp on/off will not effect the connection to the pot wiper...

+1 luknfur's post