Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Random murders in Maryland.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Over a 16 hour period, five people were murdered here, apparently while simply going about their daily lives. One was shot while mowing grass, others while sitting on a bench reading, pumping gas, vacuuming a car, etc.

I know people are capable of creating things of great beauty... then you have creatures like this. I don't know what to say.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s so sad......

I don´t understand what brings someone to commit this terrible crime.......

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I know, my best friend Kai wants me to lock up all my doors, do the blinds, etc so people wont get in and try to kill me. I'm just gonna watch walkin down the street, because Montgomery county isn't too far from Anne Arundle County.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is terrible.:(

Hopefully no more happen now. I can't fathom what drives people to doing crap like that. I just don't get it.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its really an abomination when stuff like that happens Brad. Especially when its in cold blood like that. I think it was the Tampa area, and in various other places in Florida, where tourists were being killed and mugged. People hiding out on the sides of the interstates, shooting at cars, and just killing people at random. Its a crazy world in which we live in now, and pathetic that you cant just sit on a bench without having to worry about being shot theses days.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, an employee and I were talking about this at work today. I don't know what's wrong with people. There's some real savages out there these days.

I was also very shocked at the bank robbery in Nebraska last week. I mean, you hear about bank robberies all the time, but in most cases you don't hear about people actually being harmed. One account I read on the story said that surveillance cameras show the suspects shot 5 people (probably the 5 fatalities) within 40 secs of breaching the entrance. Five lives snuffed out just like that, unbelievable...

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Murder is evil regardless of motive, but those here in MD are especially creepy because there is no apparent motive. What makes it creepier is that there may have been two persons involved... I can fathom a lone psycho running around, but how can *two* people cooperate in such acts? (Local officials are unsure about details, however).

P.S. A couple months ago there were random dart attacks downtown (Washington DC). Those were creepy too, but at least no one was killed or even seriously hurt.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The killings that have happened here are totally horrible. School was messed up all day. There was a code blue all day, which meant no one could enter or leave school. And all after school activities were canceled too... no marching band.

It is funny in a way. Not the death, but the fact that someone could be so messed up that they would go around killing random people.

The world is going down the tubes.

The first murder yesterday hit home. It was one of my closest friend's friend's dad. My friend was really messed up today. She had known then since childhood.

Some people are scum, and deserve to die :mad:

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Did they ever catch the scum with the darts?

I agree, the idea that more than one person is involved just boggles the mind. Whoever is doing this apparently enjoys it.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i could give ya a very long disertation on why killers go around killing, but in short, youre 1/2 to 3/4 right about them enjoying it.

11. After reading about this on CNN.com today at work, I was pretty freaked out. The supermarket killing is about 1/4 of a mile from my mothers house. She lives right down the hill from there, and in fact walked home from the Metro last night about 30 mins before the shooting, right past that supermarket. She's pretty freaked.

Crime is always different when it happens to you or near you rather than to someone else on the tv news.

Peace

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That supermarket killing was the dad of a friend of a friend. My friend grew up with him in her life. She is really messed up now :(

13. Geez dude, I'm very sorry to hear that. My mom, grandparents, and all my in-laws live in Silver Spring or Takoma Park. My great-aunt lives in Leisure World. I'm sending all my thoughts to you people back east - and that they catch these twisted folks very soon.

Peace

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Unless I heard it wrong-
    There have been SIX shots fired & FIVE are dead.
    That means this wacko is very, very good.

The news showing that van at the gas pump...with the blood splattered both on the vehicle & on the pavement. That really makes me sad & furious at this monster.

...and how 'bout the guy being beaten to death by a gang of kids?!

15. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    Yup.
    And the two shots that were on one person both hit her.
    Very, very brutal. Very, very scary.
    I live in DC, but I'm about 5 minutes from the Maryland border, which is about 5 minutes from where the 9:58 shooting took place.
    Incidentally, two of my friends skipped school and were proabably in Rockville (or so they had told us yesterday) when the shooting there occured.
    I haven't talked to them yet, but I'll see them tomorrow.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That's just scary. It was on the tv morning news even here, half across the globe.

If I would live in Maryland area, I woulden't go outside without M16 and/or bulletproof vest.

17. Unfortunately a bullet proof vest won't protect you in this case. They said on the news that the bullets are .223's. Way too much velocity to be stopped by a standard bullet proof vest.

The lethality of this shooter is simply a matter of well placed shots with a rifle. Centerfire rifle bullets are SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than handgun bullets.

The scariest thing in this whole episode (to me) is that if the shooter is using a rifle, he could be blasting away from a fairly considerable distance (if he is skilled) which makes it virtually impossible to know if you are being targeted.

Hopefully someone will catch this idiot before anyone else is killed.

18. I've come to believe that when things like this happen, the "person" responsible is in fact no longer in control of any faculties that we consider human. I think it is often a genetic thing, rather than a conscious act of criminal intent (as opposed to a self-serving drug murder over cash, for example).

The sooner the law recognizes that these creatures are no longer human (or may never have been), and allows immediate removal of them from the planet, the better off the gene pool will be.

19. Sapo, I heard it was a rifle, but, not which caliber. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter. These people were probably dead before they hit the ground. I'm not a gun expert, but, my father used to hunt so I know a little.

As to why these monsters are doing it? Will we ever know? I do know that they should be boiled alive when caught.

Tuba, my condolences to your friend and her family. :(

Mike J.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    *** is going on in the world? What is wrong with people? Did anyone hear about the man in Milwaukee, that was just recently beaten to death by a bunch of kids, aged 10 to 18? That's right, A ten-year-old helped beat a man to death!

Man, I feel sorry for our children. :(

EDIT: It looks like JimK heard about the Milwaukee death. It's no wonder my GF doesn't want our 7 and 8-year-old to walk themselves to school.