random question (cello/effects)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Nov 15, 2002.

1. anyone have any experience using effects on an acoustic cello? what i'm really looking for is a decent distortion that is mellow enough not to feed back constantly, and cheap enough that i can convince a college kid to buy it for herself.

(she stole my big muff and i want it back)
  2. well this guy uses an electic cello and runs some cool effects through it... i know ive heard lots of overdrive and distortion and also some delay chorus and an envelope filter

i posted in offtopic about this band yesterday... they truly are amazing. they are really nice guys as well... you can probably e-mail them and ask what distortions he uses.l

as for advice im not really sure. running a mic into effect pedals as proven to be quite difficult for my band. usually lots of feedback if it even works at all. Seems that for some reason a lot of the 1/4 inch mic cords wont make the connection in most pedals. We have been experimenting with some effects (mostly delay and reverb) on vocals as well as numerous effects on sax (check out skerik from Frog Brigade to hear some very unique sounds).
  3. really funny that you mention that. the singer for my band recorded at least one of their albums in his studio. i would ask him, but i'm not sure how to get hold of him right now. as i understand it, he's had a tough time (as many classicly trained string players do) getting his head wrapped around the idea of electric/amplification/effects...

my cellist is morally opposed to using an electric instrument, but she's down with effects and amps and all that big rock and roll stuff.

by the way, you ever seen a theramin cello? those things are wild! apparently, they tried making a theramin double bass back in the day, and had real problems controlling the subharmonic frequencies. i'm all over studying that technoledgy, and i think it could work with today's modern circuitry.

i'm rambling now.

ok, i stopped.
  4. Well, it couldn't hurt to experiment, a friend of mine that plays sax in a dub reggae band uses a guitar chorus and it sounds pretty interesting. A fuzz would sound really cool on a chello.
  5. check out "bad mother" by UK band Therapy- it features an electric cello (heard on its own at the start) through distortion.
  6. yeah, the cello fuzz sounds incredible. i'm trying to get her to open up to a few other idea's i've got. (chorus, delay etc.) i just want her to buy her OWN cheap, reliable fuzz pedal so i can have mine.

in other words. i just wanted to whine to somebody.

mission 2: get the accordian player addicted to pedals!
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    mission 2: get RID of accordian.

you'll be doing him a favor.

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree. Plus you'll also be doing yourself an even bigger favor!