1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Random question for formal gig guys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marikk, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Are heavy worn basses acceptable in the wedding, corporate, really formal type stuff? Either pre relic'd or something like Bobby Vegas 61 stack knob. Do you need a fairly pristine bass?

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I wouldn't worry about using a beat up bass in such environments - as long as you are looking sharp.

old spice likes this.
  3. I have a lot of experience doing weddings, corporate, and other formal-type events.
    It never occurred to me that a relic could be looked at unfavorably by guests or the customer, but with the random insanity people are capable of these days there's always a chance someone might use it as an excuse to dock your pay or otherwise be a jerk. Especially if there's open bar.
    Personally, I wouldn't take the chance now that I've thought about it.

Stickers on your bass, cases, amp, PA, etc are another story.
    Anything could possibly offend that one single "sensitive" soul who'll have no reservations about ruining everyone's night.
    Seen it happen, and it escalated so fast nothing could stop it.
    2nd worst gig ever.

4. Make sure your tux has been cleaned, (I have 2 and rotate them) and yes just leave the beater (even if it's a multi K vintage relic) home. Upscale gigs require you to realize you are being judged from the time you drive onto the property to the time you drive off. Everything you do and say can and will be scrutinized. Oh, and try to have fun, even if you aren't, look and act like it. Making a bigger payday can make you put up with a lot of "stuff".

5. Weddings:
    there will be millions of photos, looking "right" is important. Out of respect, better to err on the side of caution.

Corporate:
    Depends on the people, the music, or how famous you are. Rock/Pop music is more flexible; jazz/orchestral is a big no.

Upscale Formal:
    I've done really formal jazz gigs & the shinier the better. Dust & polish everything. Ironically, it's such a long way from its roots in smoky Jazz clubs.

Fun Formal (Masquerade Balls, Fundraisers, School Formals):
    Are more relaxed, I'd say it's fine.

TrustRod likes this.
  6. Thanks all for indulging my curiosity. It was one of those random questions that popped in my head while bouncing back and forth between TB and youtube videos

7. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Nobody in the audience cares what bass you're playing. And as long as you're dressed properly and the stage is clean, the client won't care either.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my basses, at least from 10 feet away, look new or almost new, i think, but the best answer is this: