Random question: Which of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jun 28, 2004.

Which to complement a Jazz?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2004.
  1. P-Bass

70 vote(s)
  2. Fretless Jazz

55 vote(s)
  3. 5 string

59 vote(s)
  1. I'm wondering which of these to get first. Considering I'm only 16 I won't get any of the others for a while.

Fender Japanese P-bass, 70s reissue. Well, it's a MIJ P, with an American vintage pickup. Plays nicely, and should get that P sound well. Would complement my Jazz well.

Fender American (or Japanese, depending on availability, but chances are I won't find a MIJ one) Fretless Jazz. I play my Squier fretless a lot but I can't bring it to a band environment because it sounds pretty bad plugged in, and I can't justify replacing the pickup because the whole thing isn't great to begin with. I'm a big fan of fretless and would like to play it much more than I am now.

Some 5 stringer, possibly a Stingray or Spector or something. Many things we play are in B, C, or D, and having more lower notes available would help my cause immensely.

The simple question is, based on my Jazz, what should I get next?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The precision is mighty fine.
  3. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Well, I would dig a P-Bass, but from the way you sound it seems like you really are GASing for the fretless. Either way, it would be a good choice. I am not a fan of the 5 so I can't really get too excited there.
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Why don't you get a fretless 5?

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fretless 5 string p bass?
  6. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That'd be fine, but P basses are dumb. ;)
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. I always use my beloved 1970 Jazz with Warmoth Line-fretless neck and an old flatwound strings for the Jazz gig (In case I can not bring my Upright). Its sound is fine for Jazz. But, IMO, I do not like its feel when playing a very fast swing, bebop type.

However, I am thinking to get the EUB soon.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Someone's got a topic in Technique where most people have concluded that BG's don't work well for fast swing/bebop anyway, and most use EUB's/URB's.

I'd go with the fretless. I picked up a fretless a few months ago -- best move I ever made.
  11. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Please, prior to spending your cash, atleast play a G&L. Any model will do. Just try it and you can thank me later..... :bassist:
  12. Jim Jackson

Jim Jackson

Jun 19, 2004
  13. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    +1 - there usually isn't an upcharge for a fretless
  14. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I selected the 5-string but, my main bass is a Peavey Fury 6-string, great because alot of the new music is down tuned or in a altered tuning, I don't like to down tune! Plus I have range to play anything!

Take care
  15. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    When I bought my first fretless I was quite unsure of the whole deal but as soon as I started playing it I found my bearings very quickly. A fretless lets you do things you could never do with a fretted bass. Soloing is much more flexible in my experience.
  16. Oza

Dec 19, 2006
    don't buy a 5 string bass based on the stuff your band plays, bands can fall apart real fast. go with the fretless jazz bass.