1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[RANDOM THOUGHT] Has Anyone Tried to Sing/Talk/Rap Through Their FX Rig?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Just wondering... With my old dist/wah/dist setup I think it would've been interesting... Even with my chorus/dist/comp setup I'm rather curious... It could be interesting with some of the bigger rigs out there... [/random thought]

2. Yes, fun. I had a jam man and looped my voice with effects. Beat Box, fart sounds, it was great and really funny. I had to sell the jam man because I think my wife was close to killing or leaving me.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've attempted to sing through my rib before, didn't sound too great. Running with heavy distortion with wah was kinda fun while holding a note.

I really thought my BSW would sound better with vocals, but really, I didn't hear the synth barely at all, which was wierd. I'm gonna have to experiment with it a more at a later date.

-Dash

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    ive never sang through anything..but i am planning on it. with my bro we played some cds through my ibanez bass syth pedal and got some sweet sounds though.

5. not live, but i used to play around with that with my old bfx-708...

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    i made a band with my buddy in which my voice through pedals replaced guitars (so just vocals and drums) it was deffinatly a sight to see. We recorded some sweet songs, and then did one very small show that about 3 people saw....Best noise band ever...

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Ha! I used to play "guitar solos" by running an SM-57 through my old BFX-708. Good times. I guess I wasn't the only one. I'm really glad that no one saw or heard me though, because they probably wouldn't want to be friends any more.:bassist:

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I beatbox a lot and use octaver very often for this purpose.

9. With enough distortion my guitar doesn't become a guitar as more of a soundsource. It's interesting what it will pick up.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There's a reason they make vocal effects, so we don't have to listen to people sing through stompboxes :)

It's really a pretty awful sound.

11. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'm all for experimentation, mang.
    go for it!

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    singing through my pog was fun...

13. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Yep, singing through Deep Impact on rehearsal was fun. Go ahead man! :D

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I sing through effects all the time, and use vocoders. My favorite stompbox to sing through is the DOD Meatbox. Sheer awesomeness!

15. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy Guest

Jul 30, 2004
    Yeah because my voice is so bad I use a lot of the effects on my multi-fx to make it sound odd. Whammy is so useful especially 2 octaves up. Vibrato is fun and as for synths, if you can get them to trigger its incredible.

I use my BP200 for drum machines a lot, I love drums with distortion hi-hats sound incredible with a swept fullrange wah pedal :)

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Wow :cool:

Sounds like there's been some real experimentation. I will definatly have to try this myself!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So am I man, if you're into it, go for it. I had my fun with vocal effects, then learned that they're better off left on bass, at least for me.

18. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    fred durst uses boss flangers and phasers on stage

19. We've used a wah pedal.