Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

random thoughts and questions...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Jason Beers, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Big Bass Pow Wow. Just picked this CD up a few days ago - entertaining and informative! Was this commercially available or just a promo-only thing? Curious about the story behind the change of words on Formal Introduction...caught me off guard and made me laugh. Anyway, on to the bass question - on Ragin' Full On, it almost sounds as if you are playing fretless. Do you play fretless on that album (one of my favorites, by the way - Chemical Wire changed the way that I thought about the bass)? It sure does sound like it on some sections. Sometimes like a Tuba! p.s. Ever think of taking Dos out on the road in the future? After the Bass/organ/drums record, of course.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi jason,

the only time I've ever recorded w/a fretless was w/the guild ashbory (http://hootpage.com/ashbory.jpg)
    for elliot sharp's _bootstrappers_ improv project (along w/george hurley on drums) in the late 80s. it's tiny and has silicon "rubber band" strings.

as for _dos_, we're playing a couple gigs coming up and working on a fourth record. we'll be playing out more.

the "big bottom pow wow" was a promo only cd put out by columbia around the time of fIREHOSE's "mister machinery operator" (1992).

on bass, watt