1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Randy Bradbury

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bazmeister, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bazmeister

bazmeister

Oct 5, 2007
    ive recently started listening to the punk band pennywise and in the start of "Bro Hymn" Randys bass is just awesome!

what do i have to do to get that sound?

a few problems

*i will absoloutely not play with a pick
    *i do not have a P-Bass
    *im not legaly old enough to get a job...

what do i need to change my tone for that style? i have a epi les paul special and its a nice feeling bass and i like it heaps but it does not sound 1 bit like him... what can i do??? :help:

2. bazmeister

bazmeister

Oct 5, 2007
    WOW! i just read through that and i sound like a dick regarding
    the plectrum... ok i shall re-phrase that

*i prefer not to use a pick

3. dreadbass

dreadbass

Dec 8, 2007
    well if your fingers are fast enough you can do it its really hard but not impossible:) and to sound like him well i also don't own a p bass i own a crapy washburn xb 100 but i have ernie ball strings and randy uses them also so it's pretty much like him but if you want to sound just like him you shoud buy a p bass:p

4. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    If you won't use a pick, play hard near the bridge with your fingers. Which version of bro hymn are you listening to, the live version from full circle, or the recorded one from the self-titled album? To me, the live version sounds like a very straight forward P sound, the recorded one sounds more trebly ( you can hear alot of finger noise, so highs and mids are probably boosted, and it doesn't have much oomph). Randy bradbury plays the live version, Jason Matthew Thirsk plays the recorded version (he wrote the song). I beleive that Randy always plays Jason's old bass for live shows ( seen 'em a few times), so it's the same P bass on both versions.

To get somewhere near that sound with your bass, I'd try dialing in only the neck pickup, then dial in progressively more bridge pickup or boost your mids and highs until you get close. Only a P can sound like a P, but lots of basses can give a good punk tone. You really won't get there unless you play with a pick though. Only a pick gives that kind of crisp note punctuation.