Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randy Coven?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    anyone ever seen this guy live? i saw him playing for Yngwie malmsteen last nite and never knew he was that great. he matched alot of yngwie's riffs note for note. i was completely blown away. a finger player too!!!

he was playing an odd looking bass with a huge cutaway. that thing had to have had at least 30 frets. there was barely any space between the fretboard and the pickups.

anyone seen him yet?

2. I've never seen him live, but I have seen videotapes of him playing, and I have one of his solo CDs, "Sammy Says Ouch!", which came out in the '80s. There is some incredible playing on that album.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Randy's <b>Funk Me Tender</b> was the second bass solo allbum I ever bought (Jonas Hellborg's <b>Axis</b> was the first).
    Also worth checking out his <b>CPR</b> Project (Coven, Pitrelli, Reilly) with numerous guest appearances (Steve Morse, Vito Bratta, Randy Jackson and others - Zakk Wylde does a killer vocal track on 'I Wish'!)
    There's a best of compilation out there with tracks from his first 3 albums (Funk Me Tender, Sammy Says Ouch, CPR), and a new one called 'Witchway'

And he plays with hard rockers Holy Mother

Randy was a major influence for me - thanks for making me remember! :)

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
    In 1979, I took some lessons from Randy - he was a few years ahead of me at Berklee. he played with a band called Morning Thunder - Steve Vai, Dave Rosenthal on keys and Eddie Rogers on drums. Absolute killer!!! he taught me to slap in 5 minutes (check out my online lesson at www.michaeldimin.com). Randy grew up on Long Island, specifically Great Neck - he was seriously interested by another young Great neck bassist - our own Jeff Berlin. Randy once told me he'd listen to Jeff play standing outside his house

Mike

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I had a chance to talk to Randy when Yngwie came to town. He has another solo album done/almost done with some of the guys in Yngwies band and I think Al Petrilli? from Megadeth that he plans to release soon. I didn't even know he was playing with Yngwie and was suprised to see him! Great guy!