Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randy Coven

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Correlli, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've been listening to "Funk Me Tender" lately, and thought I'd give this guy a bit of a plug.

Is it just me, or you don't seem to hear much of Randy Coven these days. Very cool bass player anyway.

Worth getting hold of some of his recordings.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, he's got a great J-bass tone.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Man, I bought Funk Me Tender on LP WAY back in the day. It had a different cover back then (I don't remember the specifics, I'll have to dig it out of the attic to check it out.) I loved that album back then, can't say I've listened to it in the last 15 years tho. Maybe I'll see if I can digitize the LP (got a record player around here somewhere...)

4. It's been years since I heard from him!!! A great player, loved his column in Guitar magazine. I got two of his albums on cassette, great ****!!!

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Randy is a superb player (maybe a bit flashy sometimes).
    I own 3 of his solo records, and he`s definitely up there there with the best bassists.
    Funk me tender is one of his best tunes (and the one that grabbed my attention back in the early 90`s) but my fav is still "Tree". Great tune, great sound, great playing,

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Looks like it is me.

just been to his web site. He's certainly a very busy musician.

Funk Me Tender is one of my favorite tunes, but I'm gonna check out some of his later stuff.

The Pavel bass looks pretty interesting. Based on a Alembic series 2 and 72 Jazz neck.

7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I met him this past sunday at the Arlington Guitar Show. He was there doing a appearance for Pavel guitars and performing of a couple of tunes... Been a fan for a loooong time...

Truley an honor to meet him and watch him play from less than 5 feet away...

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You gotta love NY bass players!! :D Great player! :bassist:

9. I really enjoy Randy's playing, and was only listening to 'Sammy Says Ouch!' this morning! Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Stuart Clayton

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    GREAT PLAYER!!

I actually got to take lessons from him many years ago. He used to teach out of a store called Focus II Guitar Centers on Long Island (NY). Man I use to learn so much from just watching him play. He taught me most of my slap technique.

11. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Yeah I was there and got to play his bass until he showed up and jokingly said HEY GET OFF MY BASS !!

Cool guy , and I followed his articles in BP too .

Pete

12. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks

Nov 19, 2005
    Keller, TX
    President: Jackson Ampworks
    Hey I was at that show. Pavel is a friend of mine and he goes to my church. He makes some SICK basses!