Randy Felts' Reharmonization Techniques

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I just finished working through Randy Felt's Reharmonization Techniques and am glad I did. I recommend the book. I was familiar with much of the content, but found it useful because the author's clear, well-organized, and illustrated explanations make the material easy to understand. I wasn't familiar with "Modal Reharmonization" before and so that was fun to explore. The book really drives home @Chris Fitzgerald 's motto "The melody is the song"

Groove Doctor and Steve Freides like this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Link to more information about this? Will look in when there's time.

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Ah, of course, sorry. You can find the book here. I can add that I had already discovered much of what Mr Felts details but all too frequently didn't know why it worked, only that it sounded good to my ear. That it sounds good is paramount, but, having a framework for how and why it works helps me identify the scenarios ripe for specific techniques; TLDR: it opens doors.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022