Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randy Hope Taylor

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Murf, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Jeez I've finally gotten round to checking out a band called Incognito (Theyve been around for years and my fellow bassists have always been raving about their bass player) and what can I saw...HOLY SH*T!! this guy Randy Hope Taylor lays down some nasty finger funk...I thought Rocco (TOP) was good but my God this Taylor guy is something else again.

The bands later albums have a guy called Julian Crampton on bass whos pretty damn good as well.

2. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    He's playin w/ Jeff Beck now too

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    His work with Incognito is great, but better than Rocco - I don't know...

I saw him perform with Jeff Beck, and he seemed bored by the gig. He didn't sound as exciting or good as he does with Incognito.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I saw him with Jeff Beck and Jennifer Batten and it was a waste of a perfectly good bassplayer;). I don't think that was the best situation for him. I looked bored listening to them.

Better than Rocco?...Rocco's the best Rocco I've seen;). RHT is an excellent bassist. They're different.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, Hope-Taylor is an excellent studio player and doesn't get to do squat with Beck by design due to Beck's 6-string-god ego. Beck even managed to put the madman Tim Bogert in a relatively booooring situation during his "tasteful" BBA, (read: "Bland Boring Ass") phase. His work with Incognito lets him stretch out more.

Ain't no way he's gonna outfunkify Prestia. They should give Q-tips out wherever Prestia plays so you can clean the funk out of your ears after the show.

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    having never had the priviledge of seeing/hearing Rocco play live I'm relying on the few TOP cds I picked up over the years and to be perfectly honest I never really saw what the big deal was (even the live TOP cd from the mid 70s never really did it for me )..

However I have a sneaking suspicion that to truly experience the rocco groove it would have to be in a live situation.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rocco is one of those deceptive bassists who, upon hearing him, lots of bassists will say: "I can do that!" (this is directed at no one in particular, just my experiences;))

The fun starts when these people actually try to "Rocco". The relentless 16ths, the note choices all add up to what is still a very distinctive sound. I've yet to hear of anyone who truly sounds like him.

My favorite Rocco stuff is the early 70's TOP.

I saw Jeff Beck do a couple of songs with RHT...it took "Wankfest" to a new level. I haven't heard Randy in an overtly funky situation but I've heard him do cuts with Incognito that were a tip of the hat to Rocco. Check out "Talkin' Loud" on their "Positivity" CD. He can indeed hang;)

For fingerstyle, I'd recommend checking out another Bay area giant IMO, Paul Jackson. Like Rocco, a unique voice.

8. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    "Talkin Loud", near the end of the tune, is indeed clearly a tribute to Rocco.

I've been to Tower of Power gigs 4 times, and I walked into an Incognito performance during North Sea Jazz when RHT was still in the band. TOP was smoking every time, with Rocco obviously having lots of fun in the back of the stage. Although I enjoy all my Incognito studio albums, live they looked and sounded like an expensive cover band Unfortunately, singer Maysa Leak had already left the band. Interestingly, Randy looked kind of bored during this gig also. Maybe he was just born bored?

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Abso*f*ckin*lutely!!!!