1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Randy Jackson cab anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I tried to search, but no luck. I'm about to buy another 115 cab. I'm curious how the RJ cab sounds. Does it have as much in the lows as my Traveler 151P? I like how lightweight it is and I like the compression driver. My stack will look weird with it, but oh well. At under 38 lbs. it could be the one I carry around the most. Surely it would mate ok with my Traveler when I want both? How does it compare to the Club series? They're lightweight, too, but I've heard that they don't have the same amount of bottom as the Traveler and Standard series.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I found one review on iguitarmag.com that said the 15 is tuned higher to help it work with the compression driver. I don't know if it's so or not.

But, I'm wondering why it's in the New York series. It makes me wonder if the box for the 15 is just the part below (the part that has the speaker grill), and that the upper part is separated from it, just for the compression driver. In that case it is a small box for one 15" speaker. That makes me wanna stay with my Traveler 151P with its bigger box.

Anyone else got something to say?

3. There is only one volume for all the cab, no separation between the speaker and the tweeter.

4. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I've used the RJ cab several times as a stand alone. It is very even and not bloated in the lows. The highs are smooth. Not at all like the NY series which are fuller/bloated in the lows and have that awful HF thing. If the RJ was a little lighter I would have bought it.

5. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Just picked one of these up a month ago. I like it. Real big bottom sound but yet very smooth. I normally use a 212 but I was real impressed with this cab.