Randy Jackson.... No Pun Intended....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aberdumbie, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    So back in the day there were some acts that I didn't give a fair shake to. The Jackson 5 were one of those groups. Here now some forty-odd years later my music appreciation has thankfully grown up. I just had my Pandora radio play I Want You Back by the Jackson 5. I find I am pulled to the very upbeat bass that drives this little number..... So did Randy Jackson do the bass work when the Jacksons were recording or would this be the creation of the Funk Brothers?

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Wilton Felder of "The Crusaders" is on that track.

3. chazolson

chazolson

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Wilton Felder (who passed away two years ago) was also a world-class sax player. Too much talent for one guy. And check out a transcription of what he does on this tune. It's pretty impressive.

gebass6, JimK and Aberdumbie like this.
  4. FYI not the same Randy Jackson.

JimK, nixdad, pjbassist and 1 other person like this.
  5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well dang..... I just did the perfunctory Google research. I must have led a far too sheltered existence... Thanks for that.

nixdad likes this.
  6. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Just researched this gentleman. What a talented fellow. Never knew how much I had heard him over the years.

ahc likes this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

2391064-4436741716-ngbbs.jpg
    Sorry. That Randy Jackson is not playing bass for the Jackson 5. Depending on the recordings it's either James Jamerson, Wilton Felder or any number of studio cats. Jermaine Jackson played bass during their live shows. Younger brother Randy played percussion and keyboards when he joined the group after Jermaine decided to stay at Motown while the rest of the brothers moved on to another label.

JimK, pjbassist and Aberdumbie like this.
  8. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Yeah... No doubt I earned that one..... I been living under a bridge for far too long.

JimK likes this.
  9. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yea, Wilton can bring it. I had to cover "put it where you want it" a couple months ago. Getting that under my fingers was a good time had by all. Rockin' little tune!

gebass6 and ahc like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022