Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randy Jackson on Final Truth Pt.I

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ProgressiveFan, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I have been analyzing this song for some time now (Final Truth Pt. I by Jean Luc Ponty.) It is extremely complex yet I have never heard his name mentioned on TB. Have any of you heard or tried to analyze/ play this hard song.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Haven't heard that one, but Jackson did rip it up on Narada Michael Walden's "The Real Thing" from the late '70s.

...and RJ's name comes up every so often.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When Randy was young, he did some nice work with Billy Cobham too......I wish they would get around to releasing those albums someday! I have them on reel to reel :meh: :(

4. Wow, from Cobham, Walden and Ponty to... Clay Aiken.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice. :D

6. You all should really check it out. It is very impressive. Its actually one of the hardest basslines I have tried to play. I heard from one of my friends that he is on that terrrible show American Idol. is that true? How can a fusion bassist turn into a person on a pop TV program?

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Randy jackson is a great bassist. He also has been a band director for Mariah Carey plus he was member of Journey. He has also beena major record labor executive. I think it is best to think of Randy Jackson as a man who has been successful at all levels of the music business except as a solo artist. Before we bash Randy, we must think of all the Jaco artiste types who ended up broke. I bet even Stanley Clarke has made his best money as a film score writer. Would Marcus Miller be able to do all of those great solo albums if he only worked in the music he loves most?

To put it in perspective, I trained for fourteen years to get a Ph.D. my original specialty was Northeast Africa, especially Sudan. I often go a whole year without teaching African History now that I am out using my training for a living. A musician is no different.

8. I love Randy's bass playing. I discovered him when I was a high school Sophmore, drooling over a new pop-star named Mariah Carey. I was getting ready to turn off the TV and go work on "YYZ" when I noticed the incredible groove happening. He also wrote some great articles for Bass Player magazine in its infancy. I realize he is financially set for life, but as a self professed "fusion geek", I would prefer to hear him laying down grooves, than sitting behind a table calling people "dawg."

9. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC

Ditto.........

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You forgot Whitney and Mariah along the way.

And Journey. If I never see that spandex pic again, I'm cool with that.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    The dude copped a gastric bypass. Respect.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Doesn't Jackson make a big flub on "I'll Be There"(Carey's live-MTV cd)?
    ...I guess I can dig the cd out for a re-visit & maybe post the min/sec where I think it occurs.
    ;)