Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randy Jackson: The Strongest Bassist in the World

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]

2. must be !

I'm a pretty big guy at 6'7" and i just went upstairs and tried to do that, no chance :(

I reckon he's either very strong or that things not carrying anything but the facia, damn, the woodwork it'self isn't light.

I'm in NYC in 6 days :)

stu

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That reminds me of an old Mesa Boogie ad with Pete Townsend holding up a 15" 100W combo with one hand (impossible).

4. PBass

PBass

Nov 8, 2000
    Euphonic Audio
    That is an unmodified picture of Randy holding an iAMP350 Combo, I took it two years ago at NAMM. It weighs ~55lbs. Larry Ullman EA;)

5. That's plenty doable. You should have seen the Swami from Bass Palace doing preacher curls with a 62-pound Eden 2x10.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Either you guys are lightweights or I must be freakishly strong, because that looks like no big deal to me.

On the other hand I don't lift weights. I lift people. Maybe it's a better workout than I thought.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The LABX (RIP) had an EA seminar, etc.
    Randy was there with EA Larry, etc. taking pix for the promo material, etc. He only played a little bit but day-ummm!
    His thumb is pretty intense-& he is a BIG guy!
    Give the Randy-Man lottsa props- he is an extraordinary player/producer/set of ears.
    VERY well-respected in the biz, not any easy thing to attain.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    In the Flight of the Cosmic Hippo video (I think it's that one anyway), Vic Wooten holds himself sideways on a street sign-like he was a flag in the wind or something. Now THAT'S strong!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    wimps;)

10. 55lbs isn't that heavy esp. if he only had to heft it for a moment while the picture was taken.

Now, if he were holding up an Ampeg SVT-CL like a waiter holds a tray of drinks with an 8x10" cabinet under his other arm... that would be most impressive.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are you mofo's kiddin'?!?!?

55 lbs. supported mostly by his back arm must be a B!T@H!

[Hans on]

seriously, next time, u girlie men are in the gym or if you know which way it is, try holding up a 55 lbs. dumbbell in one arm, and you'll know what PAIN is.

Randy is a bad mofo, and you will heed his massive guns.

[Franz off]

12. Originally posted by jokerjkny

are you mofo's kiddin'?!?!?

55 lbs. supported mostly by his back arm must be a B!T@H!

Grrlie man. :)

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    look at how he's holding it, his other hand is behind it. the weight is distributed between both hands. even little (haha:rolleyes: ) old me could do it.

14. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    this past summer i worked for a masonry company and there was a guy who could hold 2 12 blocks straight ahead of him at arms length (~55lbs apiece, 12 inch bullnose cinder blocks). Granted with my sissy arms i had to carry just one of them like i was pregnant with a lead baby, but I'm just stating that its all possible.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    WARNING! WARNING!

Randy seems pretty jovial (why shouldn't he be?
    Sessions, fame, producing awesome cuts...
    "American Idol"- well he does get to hang with Paula Abdul)

But-If he don't beat you down for dissing his awesome strength, he could always PLAY most of us into the G-R-O-U-N-D!!:cool:

16. I guess that depends how you lift the 55 pounds. If you front raise it up, that is pretty heavy. If you (well I) lift it like a shoulder press, it is called a warm-up. Its all relative. I don't consider myself incredibly strong and I can do that with my EA CXL-112 with the iAmp 350 on top.

Besides, Peter Steele is probably stronger than Randy, though I would doubt he is as good on the bass.

Geoff

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Juan Nelson eats Randy Jackson for a light snack.

[​IMG]

18. ...as well as a dozen eggs and 16 ounces of porterhouse.

:D

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    bob is a tank! i was helping him unload the mobile bass palace juggernaut in the dead heat of august, he was wearing a tank top (it was about 98 degrees and very humid) and he is ripped!!! i am in good shape and he made me feel like a little girl. he can do preacher curls with eden 4x10's too, i've seen him do it... not the guy you'd want to piss off with an unfair trade!

for the biggest, most muscular bassist i'd have to go with jerry only of the misfits or peter steele of type o (bob is up there though)

20. Strangely, the D-210T he was curling was one of a pair I traded (with $50) for a brand new Aguilar GS410. Basically, I ripped him off of $100-150 on that trade.