Randy Meisner Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BearCave, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I've watched The History of the Eagles documentary a dozen times (great documentary) and one thing that has been bothering me is at one point there is a shot of Randy Meisner warming up at a soundcheck during the Hotel California Tour. I know that he primarily used a Rickenbacker 4001 during that tour and that he had used a P-Bass in the early days and a Hagstrom, but the headstock on the bass in this shot from the documentary appears to be a Rickenbacker 3000 bass. I have never seen any pictures of him playing one, and maybe he just had this as a backup?

IMG_2598.PNG

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Looks like a Rick alright. Cool pic, never seen it before.

BearCave likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The guy obviously had a massive bass collection back then. You can watch old Eagles videos all day long on youtube and he's seemingly playing different basses in each one.

ELynx and BearCave like this.
  4. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wonder what he used before The Eagles in Poco?

SwitchGear likes this.
  5. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    That's a 3001. The 3000 doesn't have the skunk stripe.

GT

PaulBoyer, ELynx and BearCave like this.
  6. I saw the Hotel California tour when The Eagles played Maple Leaf Gardens in 1976 and Randy was playing his Mapleglo 4001. Although there were a number of guitars sitting on stage as backup and alternatives, Randy's 4001 was the only bass visible on his side of the stage. The bass in the OP's photo is definitely a 3001.

TD

BearCave likes this.
  7. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, you are all correct that it is a Rickenbacker 3001 that Randy is playing in that pic (my mistake saying it was a 3000). What fascinates me, is that there is not one single picture on the web, nor have I ever seen one before, of Randy playing a Rickenbacker 3001 other than the quick shot from The History of the Eagles documentary that I posted above.

8. I have no pics of me playing at least 10 or more of my basses ..........coincidence, I think not!

Axstar likes this.
  9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I’ve seen a few videos on Youtube of the Eagles and in those I’ve seen him play two basses, a fireglo 4001 and a black Jazz bass. Sadly, most of those vids have been taken down.

10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I always thought of him as a pretty basic country-rock player. But then he did interesting things like on "One of These Nights" and "Life in the Fast Lane".

SwitchGear likes this.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    But personally I would have hated to be in a band with guys like Glenn Frey and Don Henley. They were pushing him to sing "Take it to the Limit" during concerts and hitting all the same high notes he did in the original recording. That is what pushed him out of the band.

SwitchGear and Axstar like this.
  12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    He played a Rickenbacker on the live clips I've seen from 1977.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022