Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rane DC 24 users: Should I biamp? How much power? What 2nd Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I have one of those nifty 2 band gate/compressor/limiter plus crossover boxes from Rane and am using it in my DB 359 effects loop to apply different compression ratios top and bottom. When my DB 359 sells I intend to replace it with a tube preamp (probably Kern) plus a TBD power amp.

Currently, the DC 24 is in the effects loop, but am contemplating connecting it between preamp and 2 channel power amp (e.g. QSC PLX 1600 or larger) to take advantage of its crossover network. I currently own an Aguilar GS 210 cabinet, and could run the power amp bridged and protect the speakers using the DC 24 limiters (in combine mode). When more air needs to be moved, I could use the DC 24 in separate mode, use the power amp in stereo, and send the low frequencies through its own channell to another cabinet.

Any DC 24 owners using it between pre and power amps?

How large a 2 channel power amp should I get if I want to be able to keep the GS 210 (rated 350W@8ohms) well fed using one channel?

What cabinet for the bottom end do you think would complement the GS 210 well? 2x12s, 1x15? 4x10?

2. I use the 1x15 with 4x10 biamped and it pumps........LOUD!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. I use Rane MX series, which are crossovers without compressors.

If you have a weak preamp output (my SWR IOD), the Rane will provide greater than unity gain for the line signal. This means it will boost the signal it receives from the preamp. My QSC power amps require more signal than the IOD provides, and the Rane makes up the difference.

If you are going to bi-amp, get a 2nd cabinet that will provide you with some bottom end. This is the intent of bi-amping. The DC24 has an exceptional crossover range, and goes as low as 70 Hz. Everything in the LOW channel from C# down to low E and lower, is entirely going through the LOW channel cab. Make sure you get the right cab for the job. I suggest a muscular 15" or 18" for the job. YMMV.