Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rane DC24 vs DBX 160A's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AlembicPlayer, Jan 30, 2005.

1. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I need some help. I need two channels of compression for a bi-amp setup, I'm looking at either a pair of DBX 160A's or for considerably less cash..a Rane DC24.

I use the compressors just before the power amp..and I like the fact that the DC24 has a x-over..and I like the split band comp..seems like the ticket for bass.

anyone have any experience with either of these units? or any input at all is appreciated.

btw- I did a search on the topic and most of the info is a bit old..so I'd like to see what folks are using now and get some ideas about the DC24 mostly.

thanks!

ps - not looking for any debates on the pros and cons of using compressors...the search function documents that issue well enough
    :bag:

2. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I guess what I'm asking about is the performance of the Rane unit. I feel confident that the DBX units will do the job, but I don't know much about the DC24...and for the money and features, I don't want to overlook it.

thanks!!

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I the past I've gone for completely separate compressor and crossover.

Meant more rack space and more work to get the rig setup right, but the result were pretty good.

4. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    thanks for the reply.
    any suggestions for a high quality rack mount compressor for a live rig? Should I just pony up the dough and get 2 DBX units?

I want to know more about the Rane DC24 and it's limitations etc..

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have a Rane. I really liked it. I didn't bi-amp, but I did split the signal, process the highs and lows separatly, and then combined them back into a mono signal to my amp. Worked great, sounded great.