Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rane Man? Equalizer question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Dec 24, 2003.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I bid ($100) and won an Ebay auction for a Rane ME-30B equalizer. The seller said he had two "ME-30Bs", and offered both to me for $190, plus $23.50 to ship both. I jumped on them for $213.50. I received the two equalizers, in near-excellent condition, only to find that they are NOT ME-30Bs, but are ME-30s. The ME-30s are very similar, but have balanced 1/4" ins/outs only. The ME-30Bs have XLR ins & outs as well as 1/4" (and there may be other improvements that I'm not aware of).

I just emailed the seller to let him know that I am not 100% pleased, since he advertised them as ME-30 "B"s. I'm awaiting his reply.

Can anyone tell me if the ME-30B is a significant improvement over the ME-30? Would you accept this deal? Thanks in advance.

2. I own a few ME30B. The "B" is current production and the others are obsolete. According to my (old) notes, the average eBay price is $145 each. I paid $107 for my last one.

I also own a Rane GE30, which is the high-end version of their 31 frequency EQ boxes. It is an interpolating model, where the ME30B is not. This means it interpolates (averages) the slope between adjacent sliders so there is not a dip between sliders, but an even slope. Will you hear it in a live band? Probably not. I don't.

Rane makes nice gear, and that includes their EQ boxes. It offers far finer tone control (boost/cut) than you can get from a few knobs. Unlike a parametric, it gives you a visual que. I sold my Rane PE17 parametric, because I could not adapt to a knob setting instead of seeing a slider.