Range of 45 Notes

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by dbamta, May 25, 2014.

1. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    Ant,

How did you compute a range of 45 notes on a five string?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    On a 5 string 24 fret bass there's a quantity of 125 notes but only a range of 45. That means that 80 notes repeat.

So, from your low B(open B string) to your high G(24th fret on the G string) that would be a total of 45 'different' notes,...not repeats.

The 2nd fret of the G string is A=110hz. The 7th fret of the D string is A=110hz. The 12th fret of the A string is A=110hz. The 17 fret of the E string is A=110hz. The 22nd of the B string is A=110hz.

That's 5 places to play the exact same note. You count all 5 in the total quantity. But you only count that frequency once with range.

An easier way of seeing it is to know that each string only adds 5 new notes. All below the 5th fret. Everything higher than the fret can be found on the next string so those are repeats.

So,...

If you have a 1 string bass. Let's say the G string. You'll have a 25 note bass(24 frets and the open string).

When you add the D string, true your adding another 25 notes but,...you're only adding 5 new notes that aren't on the G string.

And the would be the case when you add the A string, E string and B string.

25+5+5+5+5=45

Not hard math. I just may be the only person geeky enough to want to know everything about the electric bass guitar.

peace,
    anthony

3. VSR

VSR

Mar 22, 2009
    Hello Antony!

Can we also count artificial harmonics? I think they give as more range.

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    The great thing is that you can do whatever you want. You can count the artificial harmonics or all of the harmonics. We can count through the over tones on every single note. But that wouldn't practical(unless it is to you)

My point was to give what most people would consider a 'real world' way to figure out how to count the notes on the bass. For me, that would be fretted notes and open string notes.

But everyone should decide that for themselves, as I have decided that for myself.

peace,
    anthony