Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rangel introduces bill to reinstate draft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 29, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    That's the first intelligent thing I've heard Rumsfeld say in a looong time.

IMHO anyway.

EDIT: Rumsfeld was the one who said the U.S. didn't need a draft.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I never ran into anyone in the Army who would want compulsory military service

This is pure politics.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree with it up to a point. I feel that all of the rich sabre rattlers (black & white) would think twice if Buffy and Brad had to serve.

5. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    "men and women...18 to 26..."
    well since i'm 29, being with women in that age range would be a step up for me. i'm in!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't want to be drafted...I'll be 18 in June...but then again this is the third proposed reinstation thing I've heard, so I'm not terribly worried...I don't want to goto war.

8. I'm moving to Canada...

If I were cynical, I would say that he's using this as a way to increase student protests on college campuses and thus force the president's hand in a replay of the Vietnam conflict.

And I am cynical

So I'll say that.

Edit: But maybe I'm giving him too much credit, maybe he's just trying to look like a patriot and win votes.

Yeah, I'll say that.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My dad and I had a discussion about this last week. My response was: "I got bad knees, bad ankles, and a bad attitude....I'll be in Canada before they can blink an eye". Not that I advocate draft dodging, or am one of those protesting hippies, they just have not shown me anything that makes me feel obligated to go kill, or be killed. With age, I am starting to feel that there is never a reason to justify killing another. I personally won't have any part of it.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ditto

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Not really. You don't see a problem with the lower class (whatever color), doing the brunt of the dying in wartime?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And war isn't?

:D

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    :confused:

:D

Actually I agree with that statement (except your choice of a male name). That was his point, some decision makers may have a different opinion with some skin in the game.

Is that so terrible a position?

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Moron:rolleyes:

I'm 18, and just graduated, and i would be in canada before they could even think about it. it's a very stupid idea. VERY stupid. I agree, it's all politics. Idiots.

Why do these guys hang around and give good guys that actully try to help a bad name?:rolleyes:

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm 28, so I miss the cut on the draft anyway. I still highly dislike the idea of any draft. I do not understand how anyone can force another human being to kill for a reason they may, or may not support. So far IMO, the govt' hasn't even given us a REASON to consider it. Anyone who feels like flaming me for my thoughts, should be on their way to a recruitment center while they are bitching.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I love you. this is great. I was just really enraged at the thought in my post to point out, as you did, that no one should be foreced to kill other people for something they do, or don't support. it should be a choice.

17. This is like the only thing that Republicans and Democrats, at large, seem to have any sort of agreement on.

The draft is pure BS. I am not eligible because of certain medical problems I would NEVER put on TB, but my 17-year old brother would be soon. NO WAY. I'm going to drag him by his ear to Toronto if I have to. Same thing with all my cousins of eligible age.

What a pure piece of crap. If NickelWound and I, of all people, agree that their shouldn't be a draft, then it truly illustrates how dumb the idea truly is.

(No offense NickelWound; I simply meant that we are of MUCH different political opinions :) )

Again: I hate the United States; I'm going to Canada. I don't care what anyone says.

Edit by Jazzbo: Language.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The draft will not be reinstated. It is a political ploy, designed to shift public opinion on war with Iraq.

19. Brad, you are the man.