Rank these 3: “go for it”, “maybe”, “nah”

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeyonbass, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision

22.1%
  2. Sire Marcus Miller P5

26.6%
  3. G&L Tribute LB-100

46.8%
  4. Other

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My not-unbiased opinion - 2 best, 3 next, 1 nah, not with my $.

Joebone and monkeyonbass like this.
  2. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    It's clear from your signature. Thanks. If you don't mind, any experience as far as neck thickness/comfort with the 3 mentioned?

3. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    What some people think is a comfortable neck, other people find the opposite.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't have a G&L Tribute, I have a USA SB-1, the neck on that is a little chunky, honestly. Not in a bad way, but kinda "P" style. The Sire P5 has the typical Sire neck, which is slimmer and closer to a standard J style neck, also very comfy. Though I should mention my G&L is a 4, but my Sire P5 is a 5er, so the neck is wider of course, but like "J 5 wide" not thick. I don't know what a Fender / Squier P 5er feels like for comparison.

monkeyonbass likes this.
  5. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    Yeah, comfort is highly subjective. I like thin, narrow necks because I don't have big, nasty wheat farmer hands. A big, nasty wheat farmer might feel differently.

Try before you buy.

6. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Sure. I meant based on the opinion of those who've tried either, some or all of the above-mentioned instruments.

7. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    A Squier would be easy to find and try in person; G&L and Sire, not.

8. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I personally think the G&L is the best overall quality wise of these 3. But of course the other 2 are good instruments as well, and may have certain features or aspects YOU may like better.

Lowandfat, Artman, Aqualung60 and 2 others like this.
  9. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    Then you should buy all 3, and hope for a flexible return policy.

10. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and comment.
    The whole idea for posting in a forum is to draw from the experience of fellow bass players and converse in a way that ideas and help can be exchanged. If I just wanted to go buy several instruments to try out I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

DJ Bebop and cratz2 like this.
  11. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I've a modest pair of hands, that wouldn't be up to much gardening, let alone wheat farming, attached to a slim feathery body, yet nonetheless what they like is a nice deep neck that isn't too narrow.

I don't know why they like what they like, but they are prompt in letting me know when they aren't getting what they want.

12. joel406

joel406 Inactive

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Fender American Pro Series.

4 or 5.

Best neck you’re gonna find.

I love em so much I got 6 of em.

13. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Not enough info really. Do you have big, medium of small hands/arms?

I prefer Jazz Bass sized necks which is I install on all of my basses if they don't already have that size. I have relatively small hands and reach.

Of your three choices I have only played the first one so I really can't vote.

SLO Surfer likes this.
  14. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    6'3" height, hands maybe medium to large; jazz necks are more comfortable IMO, but despite not having small hands I do get pain in my left hand quite often - arthritis finally creeping in, maybe?

murphy, DJ Bebop and 80jazz like this.
  15. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    I believe you. But at prices they (Fender American Pro Series) go for... I posted the 3 above since they "seemed" like an affordable option for someone who's already got 3 Jazz and wanted something affordable for a P

murphy and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Squier CV is worth every penny or is it dollar now?

murphy, DJ Bebop and TN WOODMAN like this.
  17. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    You might as well be asking a bunch of strangers "what pizza topping am I going to like the best" and hoping for useful information. But hey, good luck on your search.

SLO Surfer and beaglesandbass like this.
  18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I did try a MM and just couldn't get used to the neck. I had a Tobias 5 string of all things and the neck was great! Also had a Hamer Cruise fretless that had a nice Jazz like neck. But I am down to fender basses wth all Jazz necks except on PJ that I never play. I actually put a Jazz neck on my Aerodyne (PJ pick up configuration) and just love that bass.

I used to get cramps in my fretting hand when playing occasional shows. But it goes away as I play more, a lot more actually. I do have arthritis and what they call diabetic knuckle pads.

19. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    So what you're saying is I should refrain from asking questions to forum members, lest I trouble some members with my question. Okay, then. But in that case you could’ve simply ignored my question in the first place and kept your snarky, snippy, condescending comments to yourself.
    All the best to you, sir.