Rank these 3: “go for it”, “maybe”, “nah”

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeyonbass, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision

22.1%
  2. Sire Marcus Miller P5

26.6%
  3. G&L Tribute LB-100

46.8%
  4. Other

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Appreciate your expanding on the issue and sharing your personal experience. So maybe a P neck isn’t in the cards for me unless I consider putting in a J neck…? I was hoping there’d be something reasonably priced in a P with a comfy neck.
    Thanks again

2. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    You asked, I answered honestly based on my personal experience, and you didn't like my answer. You then made some glib comment about how my comment wasn't helpful to you.

You should either consider asking smarter questions, or don't ask them at all if you just want people to give you answers you want to hear.

3. Manticore

Manticore Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal and PNW
    I've played all three. None are for me. Hope this helps. ;)

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I am also this guy.

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    The best thing you can do is to play each one. They really have a different neck feel and balance.
    I've played all 3 of them and my taste may not be yours.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. lark_z

lark_z Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Georgetown, TX
    Yeah, the nut widths are different and likely the neck profile. There's no hard and fast rule re- hand size and comfort. My hands are not large and I'm quite comfortable with the 41 mm nut width. Playing them first would be the best option for you.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    If you can’t understand that taking gratuitous shots at people is neither cool nor uncalled for, then I can’t help you. I’m not going to waste any more energy on you. Have a great day.

8. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    :thumbsup:

9. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    I’d love to play them, but excepting the Squiers I can’t get to a G&L or Sire…

10. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    An Indonesian built Squier is impressive for the money.

Description of the Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision:

770D2109-62C1-4526-8B12-86C2A0C3C2E7.jpeg

groovepump, DJ Bebop and monkeyonbass like this.
  11. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Back in 2013 I bought a G&L Tribute L-2000. My best, most versatile bass ever!

groovepump, DJ Bebop and monkeyonbass like this.
  12. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Indeed. If you’ve played one, how does it stack up against the other comfort wise in your opinion?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. I have (2 of each) Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Precisions. They play great once setup for any genre I would be involved with. All parts and upgrades are available literally everywhere inexpensively. If I need to sell, they are immediately recognized and will move quickly. Let me know if the alternatives mentioned here have all the same advantages.

14. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Based on my Squier I bought earlier this year, I am confident the Squier Precision will be very good. By the way, my first Fender in my youth was a brand new ‘72 Precision. Hope this helps your decision.

7133A90A-692F-4755-85ED-F016A74A0FB8.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  15. Pocket Dave

Pocket Dave

Aug 5, 2022
    Dallas
    I've not played #2 & 3 so I passed on voting.

That said, I've played both current J and P Squier Classic Vibes, and they were lightweight & light-years above any of the current Fender MIM's I've played in neck comfort. (The Fender MIM's all needed setups, and had off-center cut nuts - each one.)

macmanlou and monkeyonbass like this.
  16. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Gotcha, thanks

17. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, it does help. Thanks.

18. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok, got it. Thank you.

19. CoughSyrup

CoughSyrup Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2022
    I've got smallish hands and love a nice jazz-style neck. That said, I've found my Squier CV 60's P neck to be very comfortable, the nut width difference is almost undetectable. I desperately want to like G&L, but have not gotten on with the ones I've tried, plus they're so damn heavy. I have a Sire V3 that has a neck I love, but haven't tried the P5.

I debated between getting the Squier and the P5 for a while, but a lot of the reviews said the Sire didn't sound like a typical P bass. I wanted something that looked and sounded old-school and the Squier fit the bill better than the Sire. I liked the Squier neck a lot, got it for half the price of the Sire, and I am very happy with it. If I played a P bass more often for more genres of music, I probably would have gotten the P5. If I was going to make it my #1, I would spend the extra money and get a P7.

monkeyonbass likes this.
  20. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Knuckle Dragger Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Tejas
    I vote for whatever this guy votes for because he said big nasty wheat farmer hands. That's outstanding.

350125g0, willddd and DJ Bebop like this.