Rank these 3: “go for it”, “maybe”, “nah”

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeyonbass, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision

22.1%
  2. Sire Marcus Miller P5

26.6%
  3. G&L Tribute LB-100

46.8%
  4. Other

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Very interesting points.

In regards to the Sire P5 not sounding “PBass like” I’ve read that plus heard the same comments in several YouTube reviews. It does seem to have a “growly” sound which I like, but maybe lacks the more “thumpy” PBass low end, it seems. It’s just that it has rolled edges, string through body bridge, and the neck is roasted (I can’t say I’d know whether that’s good or not).

OTOH, at some of the used prices going for a used Squier CV 70s P, if the neck is good and maybe a new set of upgraded pups and good strings it would make sense.

Tbe G&L looks killer though…

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    I've tried for years to talk myself into a Sire P7, but I just can't hear anything like a p bass coming out of them. My thrift store Squier Affinity has all the p bass tone in could ever hope for.

I don't have any experience with the G&L, but in any case I don't think you could go wrong with the Squier [sound-wise, at least].

3. Artman

Artman a.k.a. Eddy Garcia Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Tributes have impeccable QC.

CallMeAl, CTBassGuy, Crispus and 2 others like this.
  4. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd go 3, 2, 1 Squier not a bad bass by any means but not seeing any redeeming quality. G&L puts on same high quality pickup and hardware from the American models. Sire because you get a 5er plus decent active electronics for the money (if you for example play modern gospel stuff in church i'd totally go for the low b string and active electronics)

monkeyonbass likes this.
  5. I liked the sound and feel of the sire over the squier by far. I liked the sound of the g&l over both but don't like the narrow spacing of the g&l. So: 2 3 1 for me.

monkeyonbass likes this.
  6. so-anyway.gif

:)

It does come down to actually getting your hands on them to try. As said, what fits in my hand and is comfortable to me, no matter how much I like it and tell you. It may not work for you, even if I convince you to get whatever it is.

Having said all that, this is what I can contribute to the discussion.

I played the Sire and I was disappointed in the neck feel, too thick to me. Never got to analyze the tone because of the neck.

Played a G&L and thought it was pretty good but that's all I remember as it was a long time back.

Played the various iterations of Squire P basses and have always liked the neck feel on all. I also thought they sounded good as is but wouldn't hesitate to throw another pickup in only if I was looking for a different sound.

Anyway...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  7. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    And that’s exactly why I posted / what I asked for:

your opinion, and what it means to you :)

I learned a lot so far, and your reply was very helpful. :thumbsup:

8. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    If it were me, I’d go G&L tribute.

for a bit more $, but far better quality IMO would be a used Lakland Skyline 44-64.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  9. ATST you may try any or all of them and find none of that rings true for you.

:)

10. Pocket Dave

Pocket Dave

Aug 5, 2022
    Dallas
    Nonsense! MY choice is the only RIGHT one!!! Everyone else is WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Now get off my LAWWWWWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks. Even used the Lakland is a lot more than these in the discussion

12. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    I happen to own the LB-100 and I'm very satisfied with it. The build quality is outstanding it kinda sounds like an aggressive p-bass but can easily be dialed back if need be. The only experience I have with Sire was not good. I had to have the nut re-cut and a professional setup before it was playable. I never really bonded with it and ended up selling it. I have always like the Squires I've played but have never owned one.

groovepump and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. giphy (43).gif

Pocket Dave likes this.
  14. Lowandfat

Lowandfat

Jan 1, 2019
    Central NY
    Endorsed Artist Karl Hoyt Basses
    Not defending the snark, but the point IS valid. There are a thousand variables that are all 100% subjective.

"Use what I use, it's awesome" are the kind of answers usually garnered by threads like this.

Nothing anyone will tell you here can change how the bass will actually feel/sound to you, not to mention the variables between different basses from the same model line. Like, some later 70s fenders are pretzel-necked canoe paddles with more dead spots than a 10 acre cemetery, but people will give you $3000 for one because of the decal.

15. P-Belly Evans

P-Belly Evans

Mar 11, 2021
    Top tip if you go for the Squier. Get a pre 2018 Chinese one second hand. I have the all black 70s with the brass bridge saddles and the ashtray cover. Bloody brilliant for the price. The Indonesian ones are on a par with the vintage modified series so I have heard. I actually have a vintage modified Jazz and it is brilliant too, but the Classic vibe pips it.
    Hope this helps

groovepump and monkeyonbass like this.
  16. willddd

willddd

Jul 4, 2012
    I have the Sire P7 in ash. It was my first serious attempt at getting rid of my Ps. It nearly cut it. The neck is particularly good. For me the pickups were the weakness in seeking a real P replacement (but I'm very picky). I have a Squier which is fine but compared to the Sire, I wouldn't bother.
    I ended up with a Yamaha BBP as my P bass killer, and it totally delivers.
    Kept the Sire though...passified, rerouted for dual soaps. I really wanted an excuse to keep it and dual soapbars was it. Sold the Ps.
    Check out Yamaha BB434/435 for something in the price range, I have one of those too. Neck is probably not as silky nice as the Sire but overall it's a better bet if you want P style. Upgrade the pickups (Nordstrand powerblade is my recommendation) and it'll kill any US P bass at half the price or less.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  17. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I highly recommend the G&L Tribute LB100. I had one and loved it. Unfortunately, had to sell and move to short scale basses due to arthritis (for comfort)

monkeyonbass likes this.
  18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I don't know how to vote for this but my prefered on the list are the Sire P5 and the G&L LB-100.
    Both of them are great basses with certain diferences. The Sire has a better neck, roasted maple with those beatiful block inlays and a super confortable profile. And it's lighter too. And I like the colour options more than the one's offered by G&L (although that natural ash is super sexy IMHO..).
    The G&L has a chunkier neck but if you like precision basses necks, this one fits perfectly in that category. It's heavier but feels sturdier. And the pickup sounds punchier compared to the Sire.
    Tonewise I prefer the G&L but the ergonomics of the Sire are better.
    As for the Squier, honestly I prefer the CV 60's to the 70's. If you'd change for that model then it would make it more dificult for me to pick one up.
    Nevertheless, I think I'd go with the G&L. I like ash with maple necks and I love the tone of these basses.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    monkeyonbass likes this.
  19. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I think you mean you have the Sire P7 and not the P5. There's no P5 model in ash. They're all alder.

willddd likes this.
  20. willddd

willddd

Jul 4, 2012
    Correct, I edited just before you posted.

Nunovsky likes this.