Rank these 3: “go for it”, “maybe”, “nah”

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeyonbass, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision

22.1%
  2. Sire Marcus Miller P5

26.6%
  3. G&L Tribute LB-100

46.8%
  4. Other

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    G&L probably gets my vote for overall build quality. But those necks are too wide for me, so scratched off my list.

Sire would probably be my vote in this poll. Roasted and rolled neck gives it a leg up on the Squier.

But the Squier is great too. My only complaint is the gloss neck. More a personal preference than anything, and a very easy mod, but worth noting.

I still think you should go play the Squier. Not to compare to the others, just to see if you like it. If I play an instrument and it clicks with me, I stop looking and just get it. A bass in the hand is worth 2 in the catalog;)

monkeyonbass likes this.
  2. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    PXL_20220730_153002387~2.jpg
    I have both. Both are excellent examples of lower priced bass guitars that look, feel and sound great. Low tension Flats on the G&L, Pressurewounds on the Squire. You can't go wrong with either. The Squire is easier to find pickguards for it. The G&L I had to have the pickguard custom made.

DJ Bebop and monkeyonbass like this.
  3. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I haven't played a Sire P bass, so I can't speak to them. I bought a G&L Tribute LB-100 in June (after much research), and IMHO, it satisfies two of your requirements the best out of the group: true to form PBass sound, overall quality. Depending on what you are used to, the necks on LB-100s can feel like a baseball bat. They definitely are not as comfortable as a Jazz neck, for example.

4. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    "comfort of neck and playability"? For whom, me or you?

SLO Surfer and 350125g0 like this.
  5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I've been on this site for 16 years, and in all that time I don't think I have ever read a bad thing about G & Ls, even the Tributes...for that reason alone, that would be the way I'd be leaning...

...if you can get on with their necks. I have only ever had one or two G & Ls in my hands. The one I remember for sure was an M-2000, or maybe M-2500, and the neck profile was quite uncomfortbale for me. Same as the one time I tried a Stingray, and a Thunderbird...classic basses that I wanted to like, but couldn't, based on the necks...:unsure:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  6. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    American Performer Precisions have the comfiest neck I have come across...I love my Jazz basses,,But..

monkeyonbass likes this.
  7. I'd be up for trying any of the 3.

monkeyonbass likes this.
  8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    There's a Squier 40th Anniversary Precision that's worth looking at, too.

monkeyonbass likes this.
  9. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    I sold an L-2000 that I still kick myself for doing that. Probably my overall favourite bass.

Jay2U likes this.
  10. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    I like the black one for sure! Looks nice backed-up against the DBs behind it!

11. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    This is a big deal for me. I do have wrist and hand pain, and arthritis is not a joke, it's reality. Bottom line: I DO want a PBass tone but don't want to deal with pain from a chunky neck. I have 3 Js so enough in that department

DJ Bebop, CallMeAl and lbbc like this.
  12. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    Loved the quote, you should put it in your signature :D

DJ Bebop and CallMeAl like this.
  13. Pocket Dave

Pocket Dave

Aug 5, 2022
    Dallas
    I believe there are now at least 4 separate generations who weren't around to understand that Fender's (and Gibson's) poor overall product quality by the mid 70's was the whole reason for the vintage craze/movement.

And the quality product problem wasn't limited to guitars at the time. Gibson, GE, GM, Ford, AMF, and countless other U.S. companies not yet challenged by global competition and run by myopic finance and accounting analysis models were putting out some awful crap.

DJ Bebop and Lowandfat like this.
  14. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    And the advent of the high quality Japanese instruments into America.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    OP, I'd love to be able to help, but, can only echo what has been said, comfort can't be measured from parson to person. If you are looking for an instrument in a certain budget, the only thing you can do is play what is local, or order from a dealer that has a return policy, and consider the shipping costs the price of trying one out.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Roger W

Roger W Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Really? So I’ll be the first? I really wanted to like G&Ls because next next gen Fender. I‘ve owned 3 tribute models including an LB-100 and none of them was that great. It’s possible, even likely, that if I’d gotten a U.S. version my experience would be different, but I have no idea. I found the quality of the also Indonesian-built Sterling by Music Man Ray 34 to be far better than any of the Tribute G&Ls I’ve owned. I’m sure that I could find a good one if I was in a store with a decent selection of G&L tribute series basses, but I won’t order another sight unseen. Again, purely my experience.

DJ Bebop and monkeyonbass like this.
  17. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    If you want a neck that's similar to your Jazz's, you ought to look for a used US made Peavey Fury. Otherwise, a number of folks put Jazz necks on P bodies, but that would be more expensive. This video is dated, but you can get an idea about what they're like.

eldoryder, DJ Bebop and monkeyonbass like this.
  18. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    As commented a few posts above, the idea was to draw from the experiences of other players and attempt to form some kind of a benchmark to gauge my options against. Thanks for sharing your 2 cents.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. monkeyonbass

monkeyonbass

Oct 21, 2011
    TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED:
    A BIG THANK YOU!!

YOU'VE HELPED MORE THAN YOU THINK: I'VE LEARNED A LOT, AND HAVE MADE A MORE EDUCATED DECISION BASED ON THE EXPERIENCES, OPINIONS AND INPUT SHARED HERE.

I ended up buying a Squier Classic Vibe '70s Precision (walnut w/ maple fingerboard) for $270 shipped, I simply couldn't pass it up. I have 2 US Fender Js, so this makes economical sense at this point considering what I have invested thus far.

Now, I'll be looking for a nice pickup upgrade. Opinions/suggestions welcomed. And if a new bridge makes sense (??) I'll do that too, considering the cash $$ I've just saved.

Again, thanks a lot. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::bassist: