1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rant about age and gender

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hey.

[Rant]I've noticed a lot on youtube a video will get more hits if it's an 11 year old playing bass, or a girl playing bass? Who cares? You don't have to be a certain age group or male to be good at bass!

A lot of the comments are usually "wow, that's really good for a girl". Yeah, OK, they're good, but who cares if they're female?!! Yeah I'm not female, nor am I 11, but this stuff really bugs me. Am I getting my point across!

I was watching Top Chef, and the winner, Stephanie, when asked if she likes "First Female Top Chef Winner" or "Top Chef Winner" better, she said that she would rather be Top chef winner because she is a chef before everything else. She's not saying she'd rather be a chef than female, but that she would rather be recognized then a chef then people calling her "Female Chef". This is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

Also, if you're 11, good for you! I wouldn't call it "good for your age" but good! Just because you're 11 or female doesn't mean I have lower expectations for you! [/Rant]

I don't know if this has been posted before, but whatever. Man, this is the longest thing I think I've ever posted...Mhkay, I'm out. I think I'll make them into separate paragraphs...

-Roy

2. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    agreed 100%

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Thats a really good post for a Panda

4. Discrimination is all around us. Sucks.

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I would expect less of an 11 year old...

The female thing is unjustified in my opinion. However, it takes an incredible amount of dedication to become good at an instrument (qualaties I haven't noticed in many 11 year olds). So I'm slightly more amazed if the player is 13 or younger. Just me though.

6. This is what MTV has wraught upon the music industry. Ever since MTV started, looks have become just as, or more, important than the music a band or artist makes.

If Led Zepplin, the Rolling Stones, or dozens of other bands from the sixties and seventies had to start their careers over again in the MTV era, they'd never get to release a second album because of their looks. The newer generations of youngsters wouldn't give them a shot based on the music alone; they'd also have to look like Calvin Klein models. The only exception to this seems to be the incredibly heavy metal-type bands and bands which have some sort of visual schtick.

7. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA

yeh, i heard those fellas never got any girls... :p

to the OP: if you've read any of the tal or esperanza threads, you'd see why...

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I agree with the first part to an extent. That's really only if you are going for mainstream/major success (which I'm sure in the back of every musicians mind would be great).

As to the second part, that point is really moot as they probably wouldn't have released the same type of music.

9. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    easy
    america <3's boobs
    as do i
    go america

10. Age makes a huge deal. Some people have been playing for 11 years and can't play like some kids who were just born 11 years ago. That's impressive.

As for gender, people have to separate genders on loads of things or else no women would have a chance to be recognized.

11. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    I'm 13 and I can play both the Jaco and the Marcus versions of Teen Town up to speed... Does that count?

12. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    I very much enjoyed the separation of paragraphs. :smug:

13. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    take yer pills

14. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I feel 90% of YouTube comments I read are annoying ignorant retards just trolling to be annoying. (See any popular video where someone plays bass with a pick to see what I'm saying).

I take youtube comments with less than a grain of salt. Most of them aren't worth the read.

If someone is good, they're good, regardless of circumstances.

15. Thats a good rant for an 11 year old girl! :bag::p

16. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Would Tal had gotten the Jeff beck gig if she was a portly 55 year old man?

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

18. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    That was a pretty good rant, for an older male.

19. am with you surprise panda

20. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Hey
    watch less You Tube and play more bass. Everything will be better.

G