Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rant about Fender Jazz V and crappy sales people

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gazman_res, Nov 4, 2004.

1. I went to a shop today and the following took place.

I was told they just got in a brand new 2004 Fender American Deluxe Jazz V Alder/Maple in 3 Tone-sunburst.

i gave a call when i was at work about 2'oclock to ask them about it.. and they told me the above.. i got the guys name, some kid who'd been working there for only 3 weeks.

When i got there.. about 5ish.. i asked for the guy i talked to on the fone and when i said

'hey i gave you a call about that bass in the window'
    "oh yeah cool man, thanks for comming in!"
    'no worries, so what you amps you got in stock today?'
    "everything man, eden, GK, Peavey, you name it we got it"
    'cool can i try out that jazz with a GK Head, Eden Cab?'
    "try what?"
    'umm the jazz fiver? the one i called about?'
    "oh no way dude, thats for pros only, sorry dude, cant do it"
    'wheres your manager?'

anyway after that very annoying and irritating conversation :spit: i got a chance to sit down with the bass through a GK 700 + Eden 2x10XST.

Heres what i noticed.
    1.) for a "new" 2004 model, it had a 5-in-a-line headstock, not the 4-over-1 :eyebrow:
    2.) very very sticky neck.. maybe it wasnt wiped down?
    3.) dead strings.. i thought they were flats, i looked closer and saw dud rounds
    4.) battery was on its way out as i played it.
    5.) one of the weakest B's ive ever played, it didnt match the consistency of the A, D, G strings, even the E didnt sound so good.

Now heres where it gets worse.. he askes me what i thought and i said great bass i guess (since i was really fond of the 4 string version ive played in other stores) but i cant stand the B string.. its just not doing it for me so he goes.

"No worries champ, that string is just dead, ill throw in a free set of strings for ya, how about that?!"

i tried to explain that i was very sure it wasnt the string alone. and after i couldnt get through i decided to leave, he stopped me on the way out and goes.. hey man i bet this is outta tune.. you just hang back.. i bet it will be a completely different bass when i give it back..

i waited and when he brought it back.. it was significantly tighter across all strings.. and the action had risen a bit, not much but definitly noticable... something seemed funny.. so i pulled out my phone..

my drummer sent me a program that you can install in newer fone models.. its a guitar tuner.. so i said.. okay whats going on here..

Techincally a stock 5 string should be tuned B,E,A,D,G

This was now tuned to D,G,C,F,Bb.. :eek: good lord.. i couldnt believe this.. i gave it back and walked out....

Im not really gonna rant about fender basses.. they will like most basses suck when they are setup poorly. so i didnt get a good chance to consider it..

do any of you guys get this kind of pathetic service??!!

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    And you're in Australia!!!! Guess how service works here in Spain or in Argentina where I was born... ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!!

ANDRUCA

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That sounds like an old bass (NOS) new old stock! Did you check the serial number on the back? it should start with DZ4******* if it's a new bass. The first number after the DZ stands for the year.I would not spend more than $800 new for that bass if it was a NOS bass! Newer 5's have the 4+1 headstock.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    HAH! That sucks. I've never had to deal with majorly retarded salesmen.

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i cant believe they tuned it that much higher just to increase the tention. if it was an employee and not the manager, you should file a complaint. if it was the manager, talk to someone higher up in the corporate ladder. i'd be seriously upset if someone tried to pull that on me. that's not good business. :spit:

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    As a public service, tell us which store. But let me guess, was it on Druitt St?

7. ahah no it wasnt venue.. but i wouldnt be suprised if another story like popped up about them dharma.

It was Guitar Factory in Parramatta, Church St..

PLEASE DONT GO THERE!

Before i called there, i spoke with someone in Fender HQ - Australia.
    I will call them back to complain.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If it has a 5 inline headstock, it's definitely not a 2004. Also, the newer ones had a bit of the neck heel shaved, and an 18V preamp.

I know, 'cause I used to have one of the older ones, and the damn 5 inline headstock was the reason I couldn't fit it in a "normal" case due to that last tuner sticking out too far.

Can't remember when the switch, but I do know it was the year AFTER I bought mine. :scowl: If I remember right, it was a few years ago, so that bass is at least a 2003, but very likely older.

Obviously, the guy you dealt with is... well... less than honest. I would strongly recommend an alternate source.

9. That's pretty slimey for a music store, especially in view of their elitist "pro's only" attitude (for a Fender at that).

That reminds of an incident where a friend of mine was looking at tape recorders and wanted to know if a certain model used analog or digital technology. He asks the salesperson "Is it digital?" The clerk replies "Sure it's digital" then proceeds to show him the digital tape counter on the unit. :rolleyes:

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK I own Fenders and they do make some quality instruments, but pros only? What a load of you-know-what! It's not a Fodera or something, c'mon!

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Even then that would be absolute BS.

12. Fodera? in Australia? on sale in a shop?!!!

Okay in this case i tried to play a higher end fender and i was simply denied in a not so friendly matter..

If it was a Fodera.. they would have shot me if i came within 50 feet of the thing..!

I'll definitly be complaining to Fender HQ

13. I've had bad experiences with them too.
    I ordered an item off them online as the price was right and I was told the item was in stock, so I took the one hour drive the next day to collect it and guess what? .... none in stock!

Two months later I got what I ordered. Haven't been near the place since as I can't stand lying salesmen. :scowl:

Of late I've been giving these guys my business. They don't have Fender, but they do have a great selection of Warwick, Spector, Musicman, Yamaha and Ibanez basses in stock. They've also got a dedicated bass amp room with Ampeg, Markbass, SWR and others all set up and ready to blast. I probably sound like a salesman for them but I'm not. I'm just incredibly happy with the unbeatable prices these guys have given me on quality bass gear and want to make other Aussie bassist aware of them.

:bassist:

14. I was there last year with a mate of mine. I didn't like the place at all. I walked in and there was a couple of kids standing at the front counter BSing with a couple of their mates and they didn't even approach my mate and myself about anything. We had a little look around and left, we then just headed off to the drum shop in Ryde (he's a drummer).

Nope...I didn't like the place...doesn't get my vote.

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've had some less-than-stellar experiences at Venue, but it's usually due to waves of inexperienced saleshacks they get through there. Prices aren't as good as they used to be
    Odd. My geetar playing friend raves about how good they are. Maybe it's because she knows the owner....
    I won't. I promise... :)

I like the service and prices I've gotten there a lot, so they're about the first I call when looking for stuff.

The Bass Player in Annandale have always given excellent service, and have a decent stock. Not exactly budget prices though.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Hey, just curious, as I'm not familiar with the Aussie gear market, but I just went to the Music City Sydney website and they want almost $870 (USD) for something that costs about $595 (USD) here in the USA (BTB405QM) and whose MSRP is only $800 (USD)!. Is that normal?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid enough to think I could get a deal by ordering overseas, I'm just curious about gear prices abroad.

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes, it's generally a lot more expensive down here, and there is considerably less range. When you factor in shipping, customs, taxes and duties, distributor overheads/profits, low volume of sales etc, roughly 50% more than the US price is about right. Music City will do better than their advertised prices too on most things.

Australia has about 1/15th of the US's population, so if you want a bass outside of the "mainstream" Fender, Ibanez, Yamaha, Warwick etc you have to look harder and travel to hunt one out. Boutique equiptment and smaller, but still known brands, are extremely rare. There are some excellent local manufacturers and luthiers, but they tend to be small outfits. Distribution of smaller brands is improving but overall still poor.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Man, that sucks. Not fair. :( Makes me feel VERY LUCKY to be here in the US, and equally lucky to have had the opportunity to get into some of the stuff I have.

19. Man, that sucks. I've had some pretty ignorant salespeople, but I don't remember anyone ever being blatently dishonest. The whole "pros only" thing is pretty pathetic, too. I can see where they might put an expensive (I mean over $2k) guitar where people won't mess with it, but a Fender? Crap, when I was 13 and had been playing for three months all I had to do to play a Ric 4003 eight string was walk over and pick it up.

20. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Haha, those Fenders are over $2k here...