RANT about MM Customer Service!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9M2E, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 9M2E

9M2E

Dec 6, 2011
    Middleport, NY
    Sooooooooo I don't know if you have ever emailed MM's customer service but they always come back with an answer that seems false or just don't care to help. FOR EXAMPLE wanted a custom bass, contacted them directly asking questions each time I got generic response of we only have the colors and options currently available on the website YET through another source they ordered me EXACTLY what I wanted even though everything I asked for and received was not on the site as options at the time.

Today I ask about getting a white pickup cover as you see basses with them all over TB for sale ads, Reverb.com, eBay, etc. They come back at me with we do not have white covers ONLY black and that I must have seen them on a few limited run 4 string stingray's exclusively...which if you follow music man products is a flat out lie. I can right now find SR5's with them, Classic SR'5s with them etc... what is the point of stopping your customers from achieving the look of they want after they drop $1500+ on your product.

I love Music Man basses and own 3 but this just grinds my #$%^&*( gears...END RANT!

2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    They respond well to phone calls.

basslicks and ddnidd1 like this.
  3. 9M2E

9M2E

Dec 6, 2011
    Middleport, NY
    That may be but being in a role where I respond to customers emails and social media messages/comments allllllll day myself; a customer should receive the same level of service regardless of the avenue of communication.

4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Sure, but in reality they respond well to a call.

5. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Some companies don't do email or social media well. If you that bothers you, then don't do business with them. Simple as that.

You don't get to dictate how they conduct business other than with your wallet.

6. 9M2E

9M2E

Dec 6, 2011
    Middleport, NY
    Yes I understand that, the rant is about my experience and being provided with false information...

murphy likes this.
  7. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I inquired about, and then bought via phone call since I had to give them credit card info, several white pickup covers last year. They've also be quick and helpful with other email inquires in my experience.

With respect to custom orders, I think it's been established that they'll do some degree of them through certain dealers but not direct to customer. I *think*. Might be conflating this with a limited run.

If you want to save a few bucks, just paint your black pickup cover. I've done that in seconds with cheap spray paint. Works great.

Owen Bacon, Tbone76 and TMARK like this.
  8. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    More often than not manufacturers only want to speak with/ deal with their network of dealers.

Dealing with an end user could be perceived by the dealers (that make a substantial commitment to a product line) as cutting them out of the loop.

MarkoYYZ, McFarlin, DwaynieAD and 5 others like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Pretty sure this is the deal.

FWIW, I've always had a really good relationship with them, plus an endorsement deal, and I was never able to get anything that wasn't offered stock - lest a different color p/g. Quite certain it would make their lives unbearable if they started selling their basses according to individual customer specifics. And if they did it for you, there's no reason they shouldn't for anyone else. And they'd be hearing about it, for sure, if they didn't.

10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Try asking Carey Nordstrand...I have two of his pickups in one of my SR5vers and a couple of extra covers
    They might sell white ones

11. You have to call on the phone.

DwaynieAD and bobba66 like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Because it is their business, and that is how they choose to do business. You want custom shop, they aren't custom shop.

mngnt, DwaynieAD, Ikkir and 1 other person like this.
  13. The person answering emails might not be in a position to know any other answer except what they advertize on their webpage. I doubt the production manager or head of sales is answering your email.

If they knew you were going to order, they would probably help you out more too. Unfortunately, they might get 100 emails a day asking various questions about "can I get this string spacing?" "Can I get a gold bridge but silver tuners?" etc - and then the person ends up buying a Fender instead.

Now if an authorized MM vendor calls and asks questions before placing an order, that is a more important inquiry, IMO.

But I see this a lot - emails are easy to send on a whim, but people who actually pick up the phone to call have a higher level of commitment. If you want instant answers from a vendor, pick up the phone.

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    The take-home message here is that MM, like other manufacturers, don't offer aftersales parts to end users as part of their services. Picking them apart because the dude on the other end of the email didn't know their catalogue intimately seems a trifle petty. I don't see this as reflecting badly on MusicMan, ultimately.

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    9M2E - I totally agree with your viewpoint. As a Project Manager, I receive random questions from clients/potential work and although I do not know the exact answer to give them, I make sure I get the email transferred to someone who can help. I believe Music Man could at least say, "Give this number a call and speak to 'Gary'. Gary can help you with your custom request". Nothing too complex here....

steamthief likes this.
  16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Old-school vs. New-school

Henry Ford showed us the business advantages of the standardized production line. Some companies still leverage that philosophy as a method of conducting business, and aren't terribly interested in adopting the custom business at any price, as it requires them to change their existing protocols. If that harms them in the long run, then they will adapt or fail (possibly both). If I were a business owner with a formal production line churning out widgets, I'd not be inclined to assume the added responsibility of taking a custom request and overseeing it through production. I've bought my inventory and scheduled my production runs, and I'm making a satisfactory profit doing that.

However, if I had a formal "custom shop" then I should be prepared to handle requests from the various contact channels I make available. If I have a standard bounce-back email, then it should include a notice of how best to submit a custom order. Better yet, have a special email and phone number for the custom shop, with a tailored response.

Vote with your wallet. If you don't like their options, then look elsewhere. I don't think the OP got cheated or harmed, like if they had ignored a legitimate warranty claim. I think he just found how they choose to operate their business.

packhowitzer and blindrabbit like this.
  17. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    When, I had a Ray and needed something, they were always good about sending the part, if they indeed had it as a stock item. Like string mutes, a bridge. But a custom order, IME, they don't do. But they were always friendly when I got them on the phone.

18. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    As you have an endorsement things may be different.

But by and large, if they are going to push the the vast majority through their dealer network it has very little benefit for them to speak directly to the end users. And to potentially handle thousands of inquiries would necessitate increasing head count to handle to those functions.

If in the case of the PG. if the MM person found the sku number and told you a retail price and said they had one in stock. You would march off to your local MM dealer tell them what you found and possibly expect them to sell it to you at or below retail. But, if MM has a min order, it could takes several weeks for the dealer to place the order (and potentially miss that one in stock) leading to a back order and long lead time situation. Or, they purchase it, have to pay freight and pass that along and charge above retail.

Either way, in this scenario, the end user talking directly to MM does the dealers no favors.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  19. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Billy Imperial answers the phone and will give you the low down. They are enthusiastic.

JJR58 likes this.
  20. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Um, I was told there'd be no math... Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    My experience with MM customer service has been quite the opposite of the OP. I can't say enough about their professionalism and willingness to go the extra mile to help. I own two Sterling USA basses and have owned several EBMM and SBMM basses before these, and they have always been extremely helpful on the rare occasion that I need something.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021