Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RANT: Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 7, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm probably one of the youngest people out there to despise cell phones. As a society, as humankind we have survived thousands of years without cell phones. Only a century or two ago did we devise an organized mail system, almost a century ago - land based telephones. Decades ago, the internet and cell phones. We survived long enough without these devices we now cling to for utter survival, what in the world is so important that my eight year old neighbor needs a cell phone?

Honestly, I believe that everything in life revolves around a relationship, a personal relationship, one that involved two things: one person, and another. There was no middleman, no device to link the two. Relationships survived years without cell phones, people used to see their friends daily. But now, technology is destroying years of relationship building, turning to the internet rather than your neighborhood store, turning to ebay instead of yard sales. Sure, everything has it's blessing, but the things that used to be personal and comfortable are no longer.

A conversation can be had over a great meal, now, the person sitting across from you in a fast-food restaurant is either on his or her cell phone, having a conversation with someone who is likely being rude enough to interrupt their life for a meaningless telephone call. Things that used to wait until one got home are now too important to wait a day, an hour, or even five minutes. People are distracted too much by technology to function as we were meant to, with the people around us.

A cell phone is a tool, not a lifeline. Telephone calls were always made in private, at least in the privacy of a bedroom or a phonebooth, but now, people interrupt others constantly, in restaurants, in line at a store (please, as customer service and often a cashier, there is nothing more offensive than a customer hurrying you along on your job while they are chit-chatting on their cell phone about who won the Yankees game, or BSing about last nights episode of American Idol) I have nearly been fired for waiting until a customer gets off the phone before I deal with them. While driving, is it not important enough to have a conversation with the person next to you, or at least roll down the window, sing along with the radio and pay attention to your surroundings?

My very own girlfriend, which I love dearly is one of the biggest abusers of her cell phone. Tonight, while watching a movie, just the two of us, she managed to check her cell phone six times. Every noise she heard, she thought it was her cell phone vibrating. During lunch with her, she took a phone call, and after I politely asked her to get off the phone and have a face-to-face conversation, she continued to get text messages from people. No, I'm not complaining about my girlfriend, she's just an example of many who I see do this very thing. Sure, they come in handy, be in a store and can't remember what you needed, or double check specifications, but don't be having totally unrelated conversations while you're dealing with someone or something else.

I've had it up to my eyes with cell phones, and yes, I carry, but only in emergencies. People have become far too dependent on technology and often forget the people that matter most in life, the people who care about you enough to spend time with you, who can hug you and love you. For all of you who are addicted, or who have friends, family who are addicted: do yourself, or urge others to put the cell phone on mute, turn it off during meals, movies, or friendly conversations. Don't spend hours chitchatting about last night, live in the current, use thirty seconds on your phone to arrange a meeting, and live life the way we were meant to: in the moment and in person.

2. Personally, I don't get offended if people take calls in the middle of a conversation. They just reply to them as short as possible, and then return the conversation.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sometimes it's okay, but when they have a full fledged conversation, I'm about to rip someone's head off... or an "I'll call you back" has never upset me.

4. I usually don't answer mine if I'm in the middle of something - only if I know it's an urgent matter. I average about 45 minutes on my phone a month - needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of cellies either.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would read your post and respond but it's too many words and stuff. Can you text message me a summary please?

brad cook

6. relationships seem to matter to some people for some reason. Cell phones are not getting in the way of them. Statistically people w/ cell phones are more sexually active (I don't remember the numbers, but assume we're talking a significant change).

If I had a cell phone, maybe I would talk to members of my family more than a few times a year.

I'm using the internet right now. (this might come as a surprise)

But anyway, All of the technological advancements can allow you to have a stronger connection to people, or if you're like me you can usetechnology to avoid having to deal w/ people directly. Who wants bad breath in the face when they can avoid it? So technology puts you in a greater position of power. deal w/ who you want to deal with when you want to....

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Agreed. With the advent of communication over the internet or cell phone, people have lost the ability to deal with others in the real world. For instance, every time a person looks at someone and they look back, both of them avert their eyes downward or off into the distance. People are so out of practice in interacting in real life, that we now seem to create walls between each other.

Next time you're passing someone in a hallway, make eye contact and say Hi. It will get easier every time.

8. that's a new thing? I have trouble believing this. Old people do it all the time.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen to that. I believe everyone should get a smile and a hello, but most of the time I only get a grunt and averted eyes in return.

...and people call NJ the armpit of America.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I agree most of that. The cell phone conversation in conjunction with food ordering drives me nuts.

We have a drive-through where I work and nine times out of ten if I say, "Welcome to Schlotzsky's, go ahead and whenever you are ready", I will hear, "Hold on (refering to the person they are on the phone with) yeah, I take...."

And when they move to the window to pay they are still on the phone. But I get them back because those are the people that I try to conversate with the most. "Nice day, huh." "Doing ok." "It will be just one minute sir (or madam)."
    "Ok here you go, you have a great day and come back and see us, ok bye."

I mean I really try to annoy them as much as possible while still being polite.

Similar story if someone is dining in and they won't return simple curtesy.

"Hi, doing ok today, enjoy your meal."
    No answer. Turns to leave.
    "Alright enjoy your meal"
    Still nothing.
    "Have a great day"
    And then I check on that customer more than anyone else in the store. "Everthing ok". "Get you a refill?" "Annoyed yet and wishing you had just greeted me back to begin with?"

If they would just say "Fine thanks" and treat me like a being I would drop it at that, but when someone I ignores me I try to annoy the crap out of them.

Rant.

11. Hehehe Your evil, but I always try to greet someone when dealing with them, you can have some pretty cool conversations with people you wouldn't even think about, if you just try... Usually ends in a smaile too, or even a phone number if your really lucky ;)

Alot of the time people put barriers between them because they are scared what.... xxx person will think about them- Theres this guy at work, who's whole life revolves around internet, it's gotten to the stage where I dont think he can tell reality between real life, and internet chatroom... Very sad! :rolleyes:

Anywho, Mobile phones piss me off- neither the Missus or Myself use them much except at night when talking to each other (we live a fair way apart), other than that it's a quick 30sec here or there, none of this ignoring the person your with to have a chat about Australian Idol, or American Idol... or BigBrother...

12. maybe they're not responding because they don't care and not because they care so much that they have to build walls. I generally don't feel like speaking to people who i don't know. I'll generally respond to minorities and women, but most of the time I don't go past eye contact w/ strangers.

And the walls are always there, even with loved ones. What's wrong with walls anyway? Usually there are doors in them.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You know, i've been bummed about the whole electricity thing for a while. Before electricity people were much more social.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, who needs electric basses anyway? Jazz survived with upright basses, pianos and woodwind and brasses.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    GOD!!! Do search... this has been done

noob :rolleyes:

Oh and in reply to the post... whatever... i see it more of problem of being worked up over nothing.

:D

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The walls are the part of his rant that I disagreed with. I'm a private person and I enjoy my privacy and respect others, but even if I'm in the worst mood I'll still reply to someone clearly talking to me. It might be brief, but it will respond and finish the dialogue.

It would make me feel worse if I totally snubbed someone off as being not worth my time if I didn't give them a chance.

Another thing to consider is this is the South. Hospitality and all that. I expect everyone I encounter around here to have it. I'm not familiar with many other areas, but I'd definitely feel a place was lacking if the people were to busy to say a greeting to a stranger.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Pretty much any anti-technology rant has been done earlier and less succinctly by Bruce Lindfield.

18. the walls are the part of this thread that make me think about pudding.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do not take my cell phone with me when I go into stores and restaurants. It stays in the car. When my current Verizon contract expires, I am not going to renew it. I can survive without one. Everyone I know has one, so if I find myself in a position where I just have to use one, I'll ask a friend.

-Mike

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I can't really say that I disagree, and yet my life is much more liveable because of things like cell phones and internet.

This week I worked nearly 60 hours, not counting the 9 hours I put in yesterday and the 2 I clocked today. Its not even monday morning and I have 11 hours on my timesheet.

I don't mind, this is par for the job I have (lead QA tester) when a game is in the mastering phase. Modern technology allows me to do what I do in a much more comfortable way. I had to wait all day for a call from my producer to let me know a new build was ready. Without a cell I'd have been chained to a desk, or at least the house. With me cell I was able to spend most of the day with my girlfriend out and about. Only when the call came in did I have to run into the office for 2 hours to transfer the files and burn discs so testing can start tomorrow.

Earlier in the week I had car trouble and couldn't get to the office. I was still able to do most of what I need to do from the house, again thanks to my cell and the internet. Remote access to the project database, remote access to office email, cell access to notify my boss. All good things in my book. I kept my team on track, and everything was fine when I got in the next day. So another win for the constant comunication.

Now the question is, has technology allowed work to invade my life? Certainly, I am never really OFF work, at least while I ahve a project in testing. But then again that is the nature of my job. Its a choice I've made, I could work a job that ran 9-5 and never bled over. Or I can work a job where I can bill hours drinking a beer in my underwear in my apartment, or sitting at starbucks drinking an iced cofee.

Opening myself to annoyance is just the price of admission I suppse.