Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rant: gig got cancelled.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 30, 2005.

1. steam may as well be coming out of my ears. i am uterly enraged atm.

i didnt have time to eat, so that i could make the gig on time. ive made sacrifices for this show.
    so we turn up. the promoter doesnt. 2 bands have already left. ***? we're then informed by the venue management that our beloved friend MARK of SYSTERN COLLAPSE has YET AGAIN cancelled a show! Scum. he's an unreliable, callous prick.

Before people start spouting off for doing the gig knowing the guy is a con, my reasons are that he'd changed the "company" name, and I'd been to one of his latest gigs that had a great turnout. so i thought id gvie the guy the benefit of the doubt. never again. i also intend to make it publicly known what i and many muscians think of him.

so UK TB'ers, I highly discourage you from working this patient.

im gunna go drink away my anger now. :mad:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Getting gigs cancelled sucks, but it's a fact of life. Piss and moan for a day, then forget about it.

3. This is the kind of thing contracts are for.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A contract is only as good as the people signing it. If someone's a ripoff artist, a contract isn't going to slow them down.

5. Contracts actually give you a reason to complain. You can legally take action (bit far-fetched, but still), or you simply have some proof that this guy is indeed a con.

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    A promotion company named "SYSTERN COLLAPSE" would have caused me concern. :)

"Scum. he's an unreliable, callous prick." Aye, the Scottish have a way with words. I know, my last name is Laird - but my family got kicked out of Scotland a long time ago. :smug:

7. A contract is worth more than the person signing it...if gives you some back up legally, and you can hold them accountable for paying you if they cancel the gig on short notice (something you should write into the contract). I don't know what kind of band the original poster has, or how established they are, but a regularly gigging band should have some kind of standard contract they use to make sure they don't get stiffed like this.

Currently our band isn't gigging at all, but when we start again regularly, I'm definitely going to use some kind of contract, although I will keep it fairly simple and straight forward.

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I say that any band should have a contract, whether you're getting paid $100 or $10K. Working without a contract is like tightrope walking without a net. Most of the time you'll probably be ok, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it.

Small claims court likes contracts, apparently. It helps to get a quick judgement.

9. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I presume we're talking covers here because unless you have a massive draw you'll never see a contract for an originals band playing bars.

10. this was a non paying gig.
    therefore there was no real need for a contract, and as i had said, the guy has had some good shows as of late and i decided to give him another chace.

we get contracts for the paying gigs, so advice well given from TB land. :cool:

i sent out a newsletter to about 4000+ people. ive already had several people backing me up and people looking for more info. its a start...

11. Well, if it's a non-paying gig, than only your time has been wasted. But, spreading the word around is the best thing you can do at this point. Let other people know this guy doesn't stick to his word at all, and they won't want to work for him either.