1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RANT: I need a sign that says you cant use my gear

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SuperFineLin9, Sep 17, 2010.

1. SuperFineLin9

SuperFineLin9

Jun 15, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
    Endorsing Artist:Weirdo Cloathing; Snorg Tees; Brady Cases
    Call me and ass, call me a jerk. call me what you want, but you cant borrow my rig.
    I understand, your rig broke down. Their are other options, you can go DI for one night. I am sorry but my amp is already on its last leg and I still have 25 days left on tour I have to attempt to keep my gear going. You are in your hometown I am more than 4000 miles away from mine. This place has the ability for you to go DI, then PA is good enough at this venue. The next place I might not be so lucky.

I really hate building up the bad karma against me, I really hate being this guy but I don't have a label to buy me new stuff if you break mine. I have had really bad experiences with people using my gear. So I am slightly jaded on this.

sorry, I just really really needed to vent this out somewhere

too long; didn't read: Guy wanted to use my rig for the night, I wouldn't let him. He called me names

2. That's when I hand them my sansamp BDDI, and say this is the best I can do for ya...
    Unless it's someone in another band I'm touring with, which is a different story. Local openers have to fend for themselves, or use the BDDI...I feel/felt your pain.

3. I'm usually the opposite. I always help out a bass-player in need. You never know when you need the favor.

4. ster

ster Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Years ago if I had read this I would of thought you were a jerk. But I had two occasions when I let someone use my amp and cabs and they blew the speakers. One guy who used my BBE Bmax - QSC 2400 - two Acme 210's and blew the speakers on both cabs. I told him specifically to leave the gain exactly where I left it because it is very hot. When his band left and I went up there to break everything down, I noticed the gain turned to 3:00. When I went looking for him he was gone. The other instance I don't even want to get into. I believe most people will treat your gear just fine but you never know.

5. BIGmackie

BIGmackie

Jul 13, 2010
    I've been burned too many time by the opening act adjusting my settings to EVER agree to someone using my gear. I've made it a rule, and it was pretty well known, that nobody except me used my amp or my guitars. I'm not rude about it, but my sound is a personal thing. I wouldn't lend you my underwear before I used them would I? That's how I feel about my amp.

6. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    If someone's in desperate need, okay. But sitting in my jazz band class and some dude asks if he can play my bass and slaps on my pickups and messes with my EQ, I'll slap a hoe.

7. I try to be the nice guy and let other bassists in need borrow my rig at shows, but it's getting harder and harder. Not once has a bassist/band who borrowed my rig helped me break it down and lug it out and I don't have roadies (yet! ;)).

I can agree about never knowing when you'll need the favor, but I always make sure I'm NOT the guy who needs to borrow a rig. I make sure my stuff works... I mic a cab AND run a DI from the amp (if one fails, you still have the other), I have a BDDI on my board AND I carry an outboard DI, and have extra cables/backup bass(s)/strings.

No, I was never a Boy Scout, but when it comes to shows, you've GOT to be prepared!

5sg.

8. I hear what your saying, but as a touring musician you run into some real knobs. And by letting someone use my D.I., I am helping them out. Ever get hit up at the gas station by someone asking for money because they are ten bucks away from getting their radiator fixed, then see them a week later doing the same thing? I appreciate your positive vibe, but at some point you have to draw the line. The OP was saying he HAS lent people his gear and been burned. Just sympathizing with the man...

9. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I got one for ya:

Set break.

I go outside to make a call.

Come back ten minutes later.

Someone I've never seen or spoken to before has my bass strapped on and is trying to find the standby switch on my SVT.

Seriously?

I asked him what he was doing and he apologized and said the singer in our band said it was OK.

I told him it would've been if he'd asked me.

I quit that band the next day.

10. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    If you can't afford the tools of the trade, you need to find another trade.

11. Well, I mean sometimes stuff happens, you go to turn on your tool of the trade and you get zeroes. Not everyone has a backup everything. But to not even bring an amp expecting to use someone elses is idiotic.

I had to fly into Austin last week for a show where the budget didn't allow for a backline.
    I made some calls and someone from the opening band agreed to share with me. But if that didn't work out I would have used my BDDI and dealt with it...
    Plus I did help him break it down...

12. PostApocalypso

PostApocalypso

May 21, 2010
    The Canada
    Musical instruments are typically very personal and cherished items. I won't even touch someone else's gear nor can I even imagine asking to touch. Add on to that, in this case, the OP is miles away from home, on a tour and needs his gear just to make enough to eat tomorrow and he'll be lucky to make it home with the fluff in his pockets notheless money to replace his broken gear... well, it's rude to ask, imo.

But that's just my opinion. I'd never get in either situation.

13. My take on this now as compared to a year ago is completely different. A year ago I had 13 basses two amps and two cabs. At that point I would have been willing to share. However right now due to the economy and my current financial situation I have 2 basses one head and one cabinet. I do my best to keep them running well and in good condition because if they go down I don't play. I keep a DI as my backup and have played with no monitors and the mains as my only support. I can't afford to be friendly when it comes to my gear right now. It's not that I don't want to I just can't.

H

14. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Sometimes being the nice guy is compromising your job. It has never happened to me, but I think I can let someone use a cable or two, but never my bass or my amp.

15. FireSlash

FireSlash

Jul 29, 2010
    If someone breaks a string and I've got a spare set, I'll sell it to them at roughly what I paid, probably a bit lower. I'll even give them the set if they're tight on cash and in a bind, assuming they make it up to me at some point. If someone's amp blows I'll haul mine out and even help them set it up. Break a cable? Sure, use mine, just make sure I get it back when you're done.

But if you ask to use my Bass then you're SOL.

:bag:

As for the OP, if your amp is already on edge, I can see you being reluctant to loan it out. However I'd question why you don't have a backup knowing your amp is shady. And if you did have a backup, why not loan that out?

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Not unless they have proven their values before the gig (or request). My own brother can't take care of gear. Example: the inside of his car looks like a trainwreck. Values!

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I will ONLY let a few.. and I MEAN FEW.. good friends who take good care of their own gear use mine. Twice i have let other bands use my gear cos Im a nice guy, and BOTH times I have lost a rig from the abuse, and BOTH times the borrower bailed out the back door before I could even talk to them about it.

people who dont respect their own gear will not respect yours.

18. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see anything wrong with people asking to borrow your gear, I don't see anything wrong with you saying sorry, but no. Be polite, and they should do the same.
    :cool:

19. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
    I LOL'd!! Thanks I needed that after a long night at work!!!!:D

20. I share your sentiment, but my experience has always been as the opener with the "headliner" wanting to use my rig.
    "Dude, it's already set up what's the problem?" Cuz I don't want to have to hang thru your lame set or this dive all nite.
    "Afraid I'll break it??" Yeah just like you did yours and the last guys, a$$hole.
    "Your amp sux any way" So do you and your breath stinks too.
    "It's not like I asked to sleep with your girl" She's my wife and she sez NFW and your girl is a skank.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021