Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RANT: Local Sellers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 10, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I found a listing on local Craigslist for a MIM P-Bass for $200 picked up at his house, and I continue to ask for pictures to make sure it's worth it, I was going to throw a Dimarzio Model P in and a Model One, rebuild my long lost Billy Sheehan modeled MIM P-bass. Got a small picture of the front, then wanted more detail, the back , headstock, etc. and get seven or so HUGE pictures that were blurry.

I tell him I'll take it, I can come by anytime to pick it up, and he says he won't sell because someone else offered him $250. I sent an email saying I'm no longer interested, and that I intended to buy the bass at the price he listed. He says okay, but then he felt the $250 deal was a scam, a foreigner called him and wanted it, so he ignored the scammers offer and offered the bass for me for $250 again, after I told him I only wanted it for $200.

He finally agrees to that, but then says he won't let me pick it up at his house because he doesn't feel safe having people over, understandable. He says there are four people interested in it and he said he would be at one location until it sold and the first person there with $200 cash would get the bass. Then he gets a somewhat nasty email from me saying I'm not willing to drive an hour for something I can't try before I buy, and may or MAY NOT HAVE the bass. I told him, either I was driving down to pick it up, or I wasn't. He said fine and that was going to be that.

I get an email later saying nobody showed (probably because his plan was assinine) and offered it to me again... for the $250 I WASN'T willing to pay. After about four DIFFERENT times telling him I'm NOT INTERESTED in big letters, he sends me an email with a last chance to buy.

The next day I get an email saying "sorry, you lost out, the bass sold yesterday for $200"

Why do people have to play with sellers? The kid (yes, fourteen year old kid) put a price on something and after agreeing to sell it to me at his house and let me plug in, he changes the offer many times, expecting me to jump through ropes and whatnot. I was looking to buy exactly what he said he had, under those conditions, not agree to buy something then be toyed with for the next week.

/RANT

2. you went back to the well more than twice, serves you right.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, every email he sent to me, I replied with I'm not interested.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    From the sounds of it, if there even was a bass in the first place, you're better off without it. Too bad the loser has your e-mail tho. Sounds like someone you'll likely hear from again.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I'll almost never pass up a Fender for $200, and it was local, I like sunburst or "starburst" as he called it, so it was almost worth it.

6. Maybe i read that wrong, but didn't you say that you were only interested in that bass for $200.00? And you kept replying saying that you were interested for $200.00?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't know if I actually typed the part, it's been an annoying ongoing thing, but I replied the first time saying I was only interested in it for $200 and if he was going to play with me like this, I was going to walk away, and I did. Everything after that was "I'm not interested" and eventually "stop emailing me"

8. Ahh Okay. I hate being jerked around by sellers as well. I once wanted to buy a GK rig and the sales rep just wouldnt move from the Retail price (claiming that the lowest he could go!). I just said "no thanks and bye". Then all of a sudden the price kept going down in intervals (of $25.00), then when i said okay ($500 later) he's like wait i went to low, i have to charge you more than I said. I didnt even respond to that and just kept walking.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wash your keyboard with soap.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Shoulda talked to his manager, he offered to go that low, shoulda held him to it. The company would lose money, but I'd make sure it came out of the clown salesman's pocket.

11. Should have but didnt found it even more cheaper at some other store (with even better customer service).

In the end i ended up getting an awesome Eden rig (some years later) totally worth it.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That sucks Tim. I've dealt with a couple CL people like that also. As soon as they start acting like that, I stop working on the deal. The aggravation is just not worth it.

-Mike

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't get sellers like that. Especially ones that have the attitude like people are lined up to buy the item and that you're nothing to cry over if he doesn't give you the sale. Sellers need to start being more grateful for their customers and treating them better. They don't realize that if you jerk even one person around, word may spread and that may cost you further sales.

I approach sales with the attitude that these people are helping me out by buying what I'm trying to get rid of, and that I owe it to them to give them a good deal, or atleast treat them like they're appreciated for even being interested.

Does that make sense? I need to get some sleep *lol* :)

14. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    That about sums it all up... kids do that. :meh:

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My favorite part was when he sent out the email saying the first one who got to the secret location got to buy the bass. It could be a plot for one of those "Great Race" type of movies - A bunch of guys are driving as fast as they can to be the first one to get dibs on a bass. Along the way, they try to sabatouge each other with oil slicks, spiked hubcaps and switching road signs around.

You can tell that this kid has a bright future working in business. :rolleyes:

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks for the Ego Boost!!!! :p