Rant! Software Plugin Emulations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rawmouth, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    I have an issue with the Amp Emulation Software that is available. While I get that most of the world play guitar and that bassists are generally simple creatures when it comes to amps and effects, there ares some of us who aren't able to record our loud bass amps at home. Also a few who want to do crazy effect stuff as well.

So cue the VST/plugin software.

Having tried a few of them now, and purchased some of them, I am growing tired of having to pay for 63 million different guitar amps and 2 bass amps of which I will generally only use the bass amps and occasionally the guitar amp for my really bad rhythm guitar attempts.

Now also please correct if I am wrong on any of the pay structures because maybe I am missing something as well :whistle:

So Far I have tried:

Peavey Revalver: Good concept in that you can buy individual components with a few different cabs but 2 amps. 2??? I would like to put a challenge to the other companies to implement a buy only what you need scenario like this. Ialso challenge Peavey to add a few more amps! Bought these amps and looking for more

Bias amp 2: Downloaded the demo. The emulation of the SVT sounds really good. Standard preamp is a little on the guitar side of things but useable. Ok so I want to try the bass preamp. Not available in the demo because the demo is the standard version. So I must now buy the standard version for 99USD and then buy the bass expansion pack for a further 99USD to try this out? WT actual F? That said though what was only available on offer sounded really good but it bugs me that I have to spend money for emulations I will maybe never use and more for a preamp if I want it!!

Waves GTR: So bought the whole package for 49USD. Plenty of emulations for guitar and about 4 or 5 bass amps. Cant help but feel its a little old tech and could do with a freshen up. Have coaxed some usable sounds out of it.

Amplitube: So I thought let me try the Ampeg SVX. Sounds ok in the demo and I think the idea of offering the Ampeg emulations as a stand alone package and also offering to buy individual stuff is good (although exorbitant if in individual purchases.)

Haven't tried Guitar rig 5 yet but looks like you buy the whole package.

Gets out credit card for Bias Amp 2 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    10/10 would buy a peavey emulation pack of 80s solid state guitar combos. Hartley?

So, with this next purchase your wallet will be in almost halfway to what a used pf50t would've cost? And none of the VSTs do a GK RB?

Rawmouth likes this.
  3. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Well there is a GK option in Amplitube and there is an Audifex official GK VST. But again, demo is lacking so can’t try this stuff out with my own bass.

I guess I could buy an amp or two with the money spent but I need to record on headphones some of the time...

4. The reason I do not rely on in the box solutions for bass tones is most of my tried and true solutions are not available on any software, luckily for me Zoom understands my out of the mainstream (weird) choices and provides those amps on the B3 and MS60B. I will either record the bass processed or a good clean track and use the Zoom as an insert and process. Even though I would love being able to process those sounds all in the digital domain alas we do not have that option.

5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Torpedo wall of sound. Buy just the cabs you need. It sounds great.

6. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks! I will have a look at that for sure!

AngelCrusher likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021