1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rant: Suits

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Jun 11, 2011.

1. I'm not a clothes horse in any way, I'm happy as a clam in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops in summer; in winter, jeans, sneakers, long sleeve t-shirt, and a jacket or coat as applicable.

Been that way most of my life, am happy with it.

OK, so my loving, and lovely wife, works in the community college system in my state, and has to dress in "business attire", her pay is commensurate with that requirement, and she's happy to be this way. Which is just fine with me.

Now, she has to attend fundraisers from time to time and wants to bring me along. I have told her that within reason, I would be happy to do so. There is one this coming week and I told her that I would attend, so this afternoon, we went shopping for "proper attire" for me to do so.

Mind you, in earlier years, for various reasons, I have owned and worn suit & tie type outfits (very much against my will, mind you), so I'm not completely unfamiliar with this type of attire, I just choose NOT to wear it EVER at this point in my life, because I find it highly uncomfortable, and pretty silly.

...back to today...

We go to a national chain "discount" suit retailer, walk in, and I begin to get fitted.

At first, I am not paying much attention to things like...oh...prices...just gritting my teeth, and trying to put up with this silly piece of cloth on my body that has no real purpose (I'm not cold, I do NOT need a jacket or coat :spit: ). After a few of these are slid on and off my shoulders, I notice the price tag.

Mind you, I'm not broke. I'm not cheap. This is a DISCOUNT shop.

@#$^#%^& $250-300 for a JACKET?!?!??

That I will wear maybe once or twice in a YEAR'S time?

**** that. I thanked the sales guy, and walked out. I have been profusely apologizing to my wife, but I refuse, ABSOLUTELY REFUSE, to spend what would have amounted to $500-600 for an set of clothes to wear one or two times in the next year.

What the HELL is wrong with a society that nearly demands this type of "uniform" to be taken seriously?????

:mad:

I'm actually ANGRY about the cost.

That is a pretty decent bass guitar, used. Or a new cab. Food for a family of 4 for a MONTH. A year's worth of gasoline for a reasonable vehicle.

For a SUIT OF CLOTHES?

If your job, your function, your wedding, or your funeral require me to wear more than a decent pair of jeans or khakis, and a nice shirt with collar, I'm already RSVP'ing that I will NOT attend, and you need to get over it.

:spit:

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I spent over $500 for a suit just last week and would gladly do it again.

If you want or need a cheap suit then go to Khols. You can get the whole shebang for less than $200.

Also, I wear suits multiple times a week. If you want to be comfortable in one while looking sharp you need to spend some money. There's no other way around it.

3. Heck, you can come to my funeral in your birthday suit if ya want.

I don't know where you went, but you can get a jacket WAY cheaper than that.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Round these parts, you can score a perfectly serviceable big boy's outfit about $100.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Men's Wearhouse has perfectly passable suit separates for around that 200 dollar price too. Gard, I am in your camp, fashion-wise, I love to be comfortable over anything... the most I'll go is a nice blazer over shirt / shirt-tie with jeans, but I am still of the opinion that every man should have at least one good suit.

6. Go to Men's Wearhouse, problem solved.

I actually like wearing suits but they can be pricey.

7. This WAS Men's Wearhouse. :spit:

I think "needing" a suit is stupid, it will always be in my book, nothing will change it.

If someone can't take me seriously because I don't dress a certain way, **** them.

:D

8. Whoa, it was? Then either yours has WAAAAAAY highe prices than mine or the guy fitting you REALLY wanted to get you into some Calvin Klein.

9. Really, my point is WHY is this so? What the hell is the reason for a coat and tie? It serves absolutely no logical purpose other than appearance - and it's UNCOMFORTABLE.

On top of that, I have to spend hundreds of dollars to HAVE this frilly, silly, pointless, and purposeless pile of cloth?

:rollno:

:scowl:

...I'd rather hand the $500 to a random homeless person, it will do more good...even if the stupid suit of clothing was a total of $200, it would make more sense to use the cash as toilet paper than that stupid suit.

:meh:

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I hear ya man, did you look at the off the rack stuff? I've gotten gig suits there with jackets in the 110-120 range with pants at 60-70 bucks, dependent on material weight / quality... some are def. cheaper...

Have you entertained the blazer and chinos option? That's about 125-150 bucks... and for many sitch, perfectly fine, and you can wear them seperately and be casual...

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    You just think that because you've never worn a really nice suit :p

Again, go to Khol's. You can get them for dirt cheap there.

12. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    You can hire a nice whistle and flute here if you only want it for a night, I've got a couple somewhere but from the last time I worn them they probably wouldn't fit now, not my thang really. Just an idea if you don't want one hanging around unworn.

13. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    That's EXACTLY its point. It's suppose to make you stand out and look 1. Professional 2. Successful 3. In charge. It's a status symbol.

14. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Because every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

15. Ah. I HATE status symbols.

My status is not defined by how someone else percieves my appearance, it's defined by 1) my abilities as a human being and 2) my own sense of self worth.

If you will judge me by my choice of clothes, your opinion of me means NOTHING to ME. You are a frilly, pompous, ass of a human being, and I have already dismissed you and your opinion in advance.

FWIW, I am professional, successful, and in charge of a company. I wear shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt to work every day in warm weather, add jeans and a long sleeve shirt in winter. I dress WELL, by my own definition, and any one else's is pointless if they dismiss me for that.

16. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've bought more than one contemporary and decent looking suit at thrift stores for about $40-50. I've worn them to events like Gard is mentioning and the only one who knew that they were bought on the cheap was me.

I rarely if ever wear suits, but it's a nice thing to have for weddings and funerals.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Gard, you need to be a supporting member, lest I won't take you seriously.

;)

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Meh. I wear a suit and tie everyday to work. A good suit is very comfortable and is standard attire in my profession. I have 8 and they range in price, but generally are worth about the same as a decent bass. They ate effectively a uniform and with 8 you can rotate them enough that they should last for about 3 years each. good work shoes are the same. You get what you pay for. Otoh I prefer cheaper shirts as they tend not to last very long no matter how much you pay.

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I, and many people in these parts, feel the same way. If you wear your cleanest pair of over-alls to a funeral, because that's the best you have, it is perfectly okay to most folks around these parts.

HOWEVER, most businesses in the cities around the small town I'm from expect you to look clean and well dressed when coming to work or for an interview. So I wear nice clothing to school and the like, but I'm in jeans and a T the rest of the time.

20. If you choose to wear a suit, and you like it, and are comfortable in it, then you should do so, and I have no issue with you - again, unless you judge me by my dislike of such attire, as I consider it pointless and it serves zero purpose....ESPECIALLY in the climate in the southeastern US! :spit: