1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*rant* There is no such word as "prolly" */rant*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It just needed to be said, so I said it. So there! :spit: :smug:

MM

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You Prolly need some Raid suppositories. Sounds like you Prolly got a bug up your butt......

;)

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    If people use it, it's a word. You know what they mean. You might not like it, neither do i. But that's what language is: anything that facilitates communication. Not the dictionary and syntax. Those come second, and should be constantly changing to accommodate the way people speak and write, not the other way around. Imho.

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    There's a difference between coming up with a new word to facilitate communication and butchering an already established word. I'd rather have dictionaries inform the uneducated than see the opposite occur. :D

5. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    But that's just like your opinion man.

6. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Oh me too, believe me. I can get disproportionately annoyed when people 'butcher language'. Especially because it's mostly done by annoying people anyway :D, and it shows a certain laziness and disregard. But that is my pet hate and it would be unfair to project that upon how language should work. I think a solid grasp of language makes better able to communicate your thoughts and experience other people's ideas, but that doesn't mean my take on language is the be all, end all of it. It's a communal thang, ya know?

Say we all replace probably completely with 'prolly'. Just to annoy mysticmichael :D. Nothing would change in our ability to relate to eachother and get our ideas across.

Edit: d'you know what? Replacing probably with prolly miht actually be an improvement. It would save time in writing it out, making it more efficient, without sacrificing anything. You are not muddying up clarity; prolly doesn't mean anything now, afaik. Sure, the etymological description would be a little longer to explain prolly came from probable which came from whatever that came from (ability and probs?). But that would be an irrelevant inconvenience compared to the advantages. And who knows what poets and songwriters might do with a whole new word.

Thanks for the idea, michael!:p

7. This isn't Nam. This is grammar. There are rules.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    yer prolly right, i dunno what go inta im

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    By this logic one of our finest bass ambassadors, Lemmy, would not exist, as his name is a reduction of "lend me" or so goes the legend.

10. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    No there aren't. There are descriptions about how things have been done in the past. Descriptions that are flexible, malleable and not set in stone. You can follow them, or disregard them completely. As long as you get your ideas out intelligibly.

11. A good portion of words you feel are correct weren't correct 100 years ago. it evolves.

12. Someone studied linguistics ;)

13. flyman

flyman Whoa!!

Aug 2, 2005
    cincinnati, ohio
    In the case of "prolly", that would be devolve.

14. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That's true, but the language has been refined and standards put in place. I'm not about to support the "evolution" of a language based on ignorance and/or laziness, naw mean? :D

15. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    That would imply there is a forward and a backward in evolution. There isn't. It just happens. It's a directionless process.

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    supposibly

17. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC

irregardless

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    prolly is a convenient internet slang and i approve its' use!:)

19. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    At one point in time, not so long ago, there was no such word as "groovy." Yet, here we are.

20. ... and didn't watch "The Big Lebowski" :rolleyes: