1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[RANT] Ugh got my amp back today ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lopxtc, Sep 8, 2008.

1. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    So I play through an Ashdown Mag400 115 with a peavey tour 210 extension cab. A few weeks back the speaker got blown on the 115 during practice. No biggie called the warranty company got it shipped off and waited for the repair.

Finally get my amp back today, and find that the output volume knob is spinning past the left and right limiters, and on the repair sheet it notes that they replaced the speaker with a 300watt 15" speaker ...

Why would they put in a speaker rated to only 300watts when the head and original speaker are rated at 400watts ... ugh ... so now I need to call them back and complain and spend another couple weeks or more without my amp while hopefully they fix the output volume knob and put in the proper speaker.

Sorry had to rant ...

Aaron

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Because it isn't running at 400 watts at 8ohm probably. I think you are looking at the 4ohm rating.

I would bet that speaker is 8ohm.

3. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Its a combo unit, which from what I can tell on the back says output power 400watts RMS 800 peak, and the extension plugs says 8ohm. Why would a 4ohm speaker be put into a 400watt 8ohm combo unit?

Aaron

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Let me try and explain this.

You amp will run a 4ohm load, the internal 8ohm speaker and another 8ohm external cab. That would equal a 4ohm load.

It is probably only pushing maybe 250 watts to that 8ohm speaker. Most combos are designed this way.

Your rant is probably uncalled for and they probably put the factory spec speaker back in.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    +1. That speaker should be fine.

See if that volume knob just has a loose set screw.
    If not, pull the knob off and confirm if the knob is just slipping on the shaft, or if the volume pot is loose in the amp. If its just stripped internal splines on the knob, they'd probably mail you new one or you might be able to tighten the fit of yours by applying a very narrow strip of scotch tape around the end of the shaft before reinstalling your current knob.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, what Anderbass said, though I would use masking tape, but yeah, try that.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Speakers is fine. I doubt that they even messed with your pots/knobs if all they had to do was change a speaker, probably just came loose.

8. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    CONSPIRACY!!!! THEY'RE ****ING WITH YOUR ****, DAWG!!