1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rantings Of A Mod-Aholic…What To Do About A Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Nov 16, 2018.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I’m retired from road trip bands, but not from playing. Since I’m no longer a full-time musician,
    I take it out on my basses by moddin’ tha crap out of ‘em, especially when I find them cheap.

I saw a T40 yesterday with case for $120 and my mouth started to salivate.
    But I already have one so I passed.

Now I see a Gretsch Junior Jet G2220 and I’m shakin’ like a junkie.
    I keep threatening to buy it, but Gretsch parts are sooooooo expensive.

Ya’ll remember screaminglucy’s: Modding my Gretsch electromatic G2202 (many pics)

Well I’ve been wanting one ever since, but TV Jones @ $130 a piece, Holy Crap!!!

And I don’t like black PG’s most of the time, so even if I did nothing but changed the PG,
    I can’t find any. So it would be a custom, and would not say Gretsch.

It’s probably a nice bass stock, if I could get past the black PG.

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    If you change out Gretsch parts for other Gretsch parts, are you modding or upgrading? Swapping DiMarzio Model Ones in for the stock pickups, now *that* would be a mod.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet. Well, let's see;
    Tuners - Schaller DaVinci tuners would look nice, I think..
    Bridge - I'm partial to Schaller roller bridges, but, there's lots to choose from...
    Pick ups - They don't have to be TV Jones Thundertrons. They're just humbuckers; I'm sure others will fit the holes, too...
    Wiring & pots - let's face it; for what these cost new, this stuff isn't exactly top shelf. To be honest? Neither is the stuff in my '94 Broadkaster... CTS pots, at least...
    Pickguard - Honestly, that's not the world's most complex pick guard. I'd bet you could make one of those yourself. If not? Somebody like Pickguardian certainly could; in any color you want. And, places that sell trophies could engrave it for you, too.
    And, there you go - all modded out...:whistle:

4. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I would say it is modding because you're changing it from stock. But I don't have a problem using the term upgrading either. Same difference to me.

Schaller DaVinci - $80
    Schaller Bridge - $80
    CTS wiring harness -$40
    PG with Engraving let say - $60

Jr Jet - $180 on CL

So I'm up to $440 so far and no PUPs yet.
    Not saying it's not worth it, just saying it's expensive to mod a Grestch.
    And if I did do the TVJ, Mods = $500 and cost of bass $180

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    It's expensive to do *any*thing with a Gretsch. The best deal I got was $10 from a local machine shop to weld a broken G tailpiece. Replacement cost would have been $100.

ejaggers likes this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Only mod my Jr. Jet needed was the black pick guard screw mod, and an ashtray because, well, ashtray, you know? Doesn't need anything else.

7. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Yeah, if I got this one, I would have to change the PG at the least.
    I can believe that it might not need anything else but Mod-Aholics mod because we want to, not necessarily because we have to.
    Did you see screaminglucy’s above? None of that was "Have to Mods", but it sure was cool that she did!!!

I have a CAR SS Jaguar with a black PG. The PG drives me nutts every time I pick it up because I want to change it to mint.
    But the reason I haven't is because it's the only red/black combination I have, and don't "Have to", plus I'm sparing my mod budget for other projects.
    I did change from dot to bar fret markers though, so that took some of the Aholic pressure off, but eventually the PG has got to go.

I also have a EB0 modded like a Gibby SG where I added a 2nd PUP, but the black PG has to go. I replaced it with Paisley.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    How about a little bit of Curtis Novak Bisonic magic? Just finished this one tonight :woot:

mkgPBKm.

ejaggers, Nebula24 and Plake like this.
  9. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Nice mod Mellow Dude!!!
    Do you plan to do any more mods or are you done?

I'm torn between doing a relicing project or buying a Gretsch. You just make me want the Gretsch again.
    If that sucker is still on CL this weekend, it must be a sign!!!