Rap basslines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Mar 28, 2005.

Are rap basslines the real deal?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2005.
  1. Yes, the pocket is the definition of a groove

16 vote(s)
  2. Rap, they are just low end noises

12 vote(s)
  1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    A post by a tber on the 'you know you're a bassist if...' thread mentioned that rap music basslines were infact not basslines. I disagree with this statement 100%. Rarely do rap bassists or rap music get mentioned on TB, so i want to know why. Do you think that rap basslines are the real deal?
  2. A bassline don't need to be played on a bass.

Bass is bass. Besides the fact that so many rap tracks include sampled basslines from old records...

Pad key bass is still bass. I'm not the biggest rap fan, but have come to respect it. And I give props when rappers bring live band with them.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some are...Mike Elizonda(Dr. Dre) is a an example.

Some, IMO, are not. "Low End" for the sake of "Low End" doesn't always = "the real deal".
  4. Some rap is good, and has some good basslines goin on. Other stuff like 50Cent, however, is sh1t of the highest order.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Black-Eyed Peas, Blackilicious, Outkast and a few others, have had live bassists record their tracks and use them on albums. There's also been a rise in hip-hop 'bands' a la The Roots. (Unfortunately, most of them are pretty bad).

Unless it's Ja Rule or Nelly.
  6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    El Pus!!!

hehe, plug for Woodchuck

I've always been a fan of good music, no matter the genre. I've heard some outstanding basslines in rap songs. Some of which helped to inspire me to play. In addition to hip-hop bands as already mentioned, here's a real shortened list of songs I can think of with basslines I've always really liked (some of these might be samples, or at least borrowed hooks). And they're not necessarily anything special... some of them are just in the pocket and hold down a good groove, while others are busier and more prominent. I've also listed a few that are synth bass, but are at least different than the normal bass drum sounding basslines:

Coolio - I'm In Love With Mary Jane
    Dead Prez - Hip Hop
    Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes to Worst
    House of Pain - I'm a Swing It
    House of Pain - Where I'm From (one of my all-time faves)
    House of Pain - Runnin' Up On Ya
    House of Pain - Keep it Comin'
    Ice Cube & Dr. Dre - Natural Born Killa (something's just entirely bad-ass about this groove)
    Passion feat. Too Short - Where I'm From
    Snoop Dogg - Ain't No Fun (crude song, but great groove)
    Snoop Dogg - Lodi Dodi
    Dogg Pound - Bomb-Ass Pussy (crude again, but nice line)
    Dogg Pound - Let's Play House
    Too Short - Can't Stay Away (this song always sounded awesome with the subwave on my Mo'Bass)
    Too Short - I'm A Player
    Too Short - Flat Booty Bitches (he uses live bass for almost everything as far as I know)
    Tupac - Everywhere I Go
    Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
    Young MC - Bust A Move
    Warren G - the entire Regulate album... it's awesome

There's a million more, but I'm too tired to think. haha
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    W00t, a thread about rap basslines and no one mentioned Rappers Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang??? Damn, I love that line :)
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Joshua, you are probably right man.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Rap is one of the only forms of music today that is still heavily bass centric and puts strong emphasis on deep pocket groove as it relates to the bass and the drums.

Of course, most people's bias and preconception against 'rap' is really against a pop product, which isn't really music now is it?
  10. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    but IMO the bass lines are nothing special if anything (or at least the stuff thats on the radio when I'm in the weight room in gym class)

So I'm kinda meh torewards it - on the other hand, some rapcore stuff is pretty good (Thousand Foot Krutch...)
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    All I know is that Shooytz Groove has some kickin' bass grooves.
  12. The bassline to "Rapper's Delight" was taken from a song by Chic ("Good Times"). It is cool, but I wouldn't really give Sugar Hill Gang too much credit for it.
  13. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    You can't have this thread without mention of A Tribe Called Quest's album, "The Lowend Theory," featuring Ron Carter on bass.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Blackstar did some stuff with Ron Carter, too. Man, he's got groove a mile deep and two wide.
  15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    One of the tracks that Ron did on that LP was a remake of Heatwave's Star Of The Story. Ron certainly added his twist to it. :)
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Didn't the original version have bowed bass?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    "Check tha Rhyme"...nice cut.

I also liked Digable Planets "Cool Like That". They were a "here today, gone later today" kind of group, but the song had a funky, jazzy feel to it.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hi Jim! It may have on some parts but it did have an electric bassline also. I have to pick up that disc again. I lent it out and never got it back. The person that I lent it to is now a ghost. :rolleyes:

That's the one that Ron was on. He got funKay on it! :)
  19. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I love the basslines on Rapper's Delight and Outkast - Mrs. Jackson. No matter what anyone says, music is music and that includes rap.
  20. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I think that it depends on the type of rap/hip hop you are listening to. I wouldn't listen to too much dirty south rap for grooves. but the stuff that comes from the west coast tends to have a huge groove to me. Particularly Dre's Chronic album and DJ Quick's stuff. East Coast stuff tends to groove, but in a more earthy kinda way if that makes sense.

I have a friend of mine listening to hip hop to learn how to groove, he's a drummer. I think that it will benefit him a lot as long as he listens to the right stuff.

B Easy