Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rap/Nu metal?? bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    What is everyones opinion on this genre of music and the existing bass players. There are some good and some bad. This whole phenomenon is gettting global and is getting bigger with all these other acts jumping on the band wagon - Korn , Limp bizkit , Papa roach , Linkin park etc etc

Deftones dont even fit into the above cause they are unique , Chi Cheng is'nt the best of bass players but he does a good job for the band.

I think Traa Daniels from P.O.D is the best of the bunch this guy can pull off some funky **** and that it impressive considering the style of music of his band , where the bass playing is always restricted because the guitar is so up front. (Anyone know about Traa?) Does anyone have an opinion on this subject? Who do you rate in this field of bass players in the 'Rap/Nu metal' scene?

2. Traa is a awesome bassist. another honorable mention is Dirk Lance from Incubus. they're arent to many good Nu metal acts out today, but P.O.D. and Incubus are awesome IMO.

3. incubus rox! they kick ass!

4. Dirk Lance from Incubus is awesome, but I really hate to think of Incubus as a nu metal band ('cuz they really aren't). Nu metal is now a boring and repetitive fad and will hopefully fade away in time with boy bands.

5. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    That is exactlly what I'm talking about a lot of the bass players are doing the same thing , it's only the odd one or two doing something different. It becomes ridiculous after a while , and puts good musicians/bass players down just because they are part of the simular genre. That bass player in Papa roach is supposedly good (Bass player mag transcribed one of his bass line solo's) , I have'nt heard much from him though in the music.

6. He ain't bad, but ain't that good either. He does have a nice punchy round sound on the album (I should say the album that my friend owns and made me listen to). He plays with Lakeland basses, and as far as I'm concerned, the only real thing that he has going for himself is his tone. I also agree that this type of music really limits what can be played. Just my 2 cents.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, Traa is good. I was impressed the first time I heard "Southtown" I think on Farmclub.com like six months ago.... of the new rock movement I think my favorite is probably Mudvayne's Ryan Martinie. He's the next big thing, I'm warning you now!

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have to agree with Brendan here, I wasn't impressed with Ryan, Ryknow, whatever, at first, but listening to the CD is much different, he is very talented!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know. Ryknow kicks much-grande butt. It's about time people are believing me...

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Ryan Ryknow is talented yes.. but scares the hell out of me.. (maybe the whole band scares me) hehe ^_^;

and as for Dirk Lance.. listen to Incubus's older stuff (Fungus Amongus especially).. listen to some of the tracks in it. If you like Slap Tunes listen to songs like "Speak Free" if you want to hear somehting with good bass lines from them listen to "You will be a hot dancer" etc.. etc..

good luck ^_^;

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I dont think I've heard anything from the Mudvayne bass player , he seems to be popular amongst some of you guys in the bass community. If we got more talented bass players like Traa in this style of music , I suppose it's a good thing. Im not saying who's better? but how does he rate compared to someone like Traa.

12. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Although Traa is very good, Ryknow is far superior in every way to Traa. It is apples to apples here, so the comparison is reliable. Ryknow is a much better slapper, and he plays fretless like a champ, has amazingingly fast fingers. Traa stands out in the nu metal movement, but Ryknow is the king! Basically, I'm roughly in the same league playing wise as Traa, but Ryknow makes me sound like a complete amateur. That is a better way to decribe it! But, his makeup is ridiculous!

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you know guys, i really dig traa AND ryan martinie, but i think that their styles are so different, that you really can't do an accurate comparison. they're both great players in their own right, but to compare them and say one is better than the other wouldn't really be fair. two completely different styles...

14. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I totally disagree that Traa and Ryknow have different styles. There are differences, but they play similiar styles, musically.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, so how is it that my wife loves POD and she hates mudvayne? :eek: lololol nevermind...sounds different to my ears...

16. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, there is one HUGE difference between the two bands , the vocals(one raps, one screams and sings). My girlfriend is exactly the same way! She hates Mudvayne, but musically, they are in the same genre, but are not exactly the same. Mudvayne has alot more metal elements. But, they are both heavy and both bass players slap and have fast fingerstyle lines.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can go along with that...

18. uh yeah they are dude. i was watching an online interview and that vocalist dude (i forgot his name) even called the band a Nu Metal group.

19. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    What are some examples of these fast fingerstyle lines? Especially in Mudvayne. I'm not opposing you, I just haven't heard any Mudvayne basslines that I would consider fast. I haven't really heard much POD, so I can't really judge the basslines.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...speed isn't nessicarily a great thing. Ryan Martinie is fast, and he also knows when to sit back and groove...if you want some fingerstlye (fretless) licks, try "Severed"...