Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rap vs Hiphop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blong1, Sep 25, 2002.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i friend of mine is an editor for a local magazine and she posed a question to me because she is writing and article for the mag... she asked what the difference is between rap and hiphop. now, after pondering this for a while, i thought that i would pose the question to you guys and see if ya'll could help me out on this one. and thoughts???

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    This is just a guess but, I think rap is Jay-z,ludacris artists like that and hip hop would be 2-pac, eve.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I think: rap is what started in the early 80's and continued strong until about the mid 90's and is produced very little any more. Hip-hop would currently get called rap by adults and/or those disconnected from that sort of music, but is not the same. Now for my opinion side of things: rap is very good, hip-hop is very bad.

Examples of each:
    -Rap: Tone Loc, Young MC
    -Hip-hop: most anything on a pop radio station now.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Rap is a music style. Hip hop is a way of life.

Or so I heard. I am too white to know the difference. Either way, it is talking with music in the background. I don't like it.

IMO, YMMV :D

5. I guess they are basically the same. but hip hop refers to the music and rap to the style of lyrical expresion you hear in hip hop music.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ack! no no no no! as it stands today...

rap = songs about fake thugging, their ride, their money, bling bling, drinking and smoking, bitches, shaking that ass, etc...jay-z, ludacris, big pun, nelly, etc...

hip hop = underground stuff about real issues like race, love, and class, intelligent stuff. talib kweli, mos def, roots, del, etc. most of the older stuff falls into this category. this is the stuff that doesn't suck nowadays.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You've got to be kidding me. Its the total opposite. Rap is the style about real issues, growing up hard in the ghetto and what not. Serious stuff.

Hip hop is the bling bling, I got cars and b*tches, ice this ice that, yo yo, stuff. Nelly is a good example off the top of my head.

8. I'm definitely no expert on this, so I could just be talking out of my a$$, but to me, rap makes me think of the actual words, rhymes, and rhythm of the lyrical presentation. On the other hand, hiphop makes me think of the beat and stuff that's supposed to make your body move (the kind of stuff you might hear at dance clubs).

This is just my conclusion and is not based on anything I read or heard.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i really don't think so. why would talib kweli knock rap and call his **** "real hip-hop" in his songs if he was rap? all the underground guys call their stuff hip-hop, not rap. that's what i'm going by.

10. Hip Hop has four elements, DJing, MCing(aka, rapping), Graffiti Art, and Break Dancing

Rapping is an element of Hip-hop. In some cases the two can be synoymous(sp?), but people who call themselves hip-hop are trying to say they embrace all aspects of the culture, some just do it for the mola and everything else. Some people who call themselves hip-hop are NOT real hip hop, its a code of pride in a way.

There was a website run by a guy known as Big Dave that had some pretty interesting quips about Hip Hop Culture, History etc. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore, but, there are some really neat sites out there if you can find them, that can tell you a lot more than I can ever hope ot.

11. i dont even really consider rap or hip hop music, but this arguement to me is like trying to decipher beftween hard rock and nu-metal. everyone will have a different opinion on what is what. i hate rap, and if i ever here any on radio/tv i shut it off so i cant make an actual opinion on it all.

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im with you W5S.

And Fetis, way to be closed minded.

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hip Hop can be mixed with jazz, rap can't.

You can rap over anything (numetal), but something like Sum 41, or P.O.D. wouldn't be called hip hop.

14. SWMR

SWMR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    i agree with Warwick5S

i like hip hop but i dont like rap.

15. Check out this site if you need an introduction to most music styles. http://www.allmusic.com

If you click on the "music style" icon on the left, it will take you to a bunch of styles.

It has write-ups for Hip Hop / Urban as well as descriptions of sub-genres such as East Coast (Jay-Z), West Coast (Snoop!!!!), Old School...

Allmusic.com seems to treat Hip Hop and Rap as the same thing.

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    :confused:

Then why do I always see "hip-hoppers" like R. Kelly and Puff Daddy say they are hip-hop, I never heard them or their type say they "rap". I only hear the term "rap" when artists do deep lyrics, not 'pop tha crystal and ridin' thru da hood' crap.

Whatever guys, it's just how I know it, and I'm stubborn so I wont change! :D

17. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I agree.

18. no, warwick5S is right.

19. The rap-as-a-subset-of-hip-hop explanation is probably the best. Otherwise, it's just too subjective.

20. Whoever was talking about the 4 elements of hiphop and so forth, good reply. Although that answer really isnt what the question is asking. I think As a general rule(and I dont make it a point to sub-divide) Rap is a generic term that is used by outsiders and a few insiders. but if you really get to the nitty gritty of it, it is all hiphop. thats just one man's opinion that has been listening to the music since I was about 10 years old.