1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rape in Kenya..this article really got to me..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 12, 2011.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's not just Kenya, but different shades of this happen all over the world.
    Having traveled a good bit, I'm very open to other cultures and respectful of their beliefs, but sometimes wrong is just wrong. With a respect for differences being meaningless in such cases.
    If there ever was a time, when one should impose at least a smidgen of their cultural beliefs on another (which I'm normally DEAD SET against) this would be one of them. What do you think? Is there ever a time when we should say "no" based on our own cultural standards?

As an aside - Josephine Kulea, is absolutely a gorgeous woman, wow!

Activist battles Kenyan tradition of rape 'beading' - CNN.com

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I get where you're coming from, but as you're a cultural relativist I don't see a basis for you to pick and choose issues that where suddenly "universal" norms should be applied to other cultures.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I know, it's a tough thing, it really is.
    In this case, this local activist is trying to take care of it so that's as close to a perfect solution as one's going to get IMO, but what if she wasn't? Would it ever be "right" for an outsider to do something about this?

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Meh. I'm with you Relic. This is wrong. Just like most of the civilized world has spoken out against extreme Muslim's treatment of women, I have no problem taking a stance against this cultural practice.

5. They do have some strange "cultural practices" in Africa. Here's another one that defies basic human dignity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/opinion/12kristof.html?_r=1

Interesting how most of these horrific "cultural practices" seem to be aimed at women.

Love it or hate it, male circumcision has some hygenic benefits; this female circumcision is simply inhumane.

6. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Rape in Kenya? More like pedophilia.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    That's slightly better. Change - especially cultural change - needs to be from within to be effective and lasting.

I would agree its wrong, but I'm not a cultural relativist and I don't have the same dilemma you do.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Often "culture" is just a fig leaf used to cover ugly practices.

9. Ah, Africa. Liberals act like it would be some kind of utopia if the european colonization had never happened. I beg to differ.

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm not touching this everything I write turns out offensive to someone.

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I would support and end to this. I'm not sure the best way to do it but I think it's a poor excuse to tap the young girls of this culture.

12. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    You could ask the Kenyan government to get involved....:bag:

13. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    For the record, I feel compelled to disagree with this, but I won't go into detail so as not to derail the thread.

14. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well put. I agree.

15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That would be great. But if they were going to do it, why aren't they now?

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There is so much wrong with this statement that I don't know where to start. Suddenly people that are in favor of preserving human rights and dignity are liberals, and am I left to presume that those in favor of enslaving a local people while imperialistic powers rape a country of its resources are to be considered conservative? :eyebrow:

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for summing up my thoughts perfectly, Maki.

18. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009

Because primitive cultures will remain primitive until the populous decides it's time for things to change, not only is it not our place, it's not our responsibility.

There I said it.

As narrow minded and as much of a bigot it makes me sound.

19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Trust me, I have my own opinions on this too. ;) But they're not this.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Actually I agree up to a point.
    IMO - If a "primitive" culture is happy with their lifestyle who the hell are we to impose our values on it?
    Yet, when that culture includes the rape of children, then arrogant or not, I'd like to see it put to a stop ASAP. It's best if it comes from within that culture - if they decide for change themselves, but if it's not happening..? I dunno, sometimes maybe I get too sensitive about this stuff but I couldn't turn a blind eye to this. Ever. Wrong is wrong