1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raphael Saadiq - "The Way I See It"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Give this a lesson. Then another.

It's good. Real good.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hopefully, after hearing Saadiq's album, new comers to "Classic Soul" will want to check out some of the early guys-

Three of my favourites from a past era-
    Edwin Starr, Curtis Mayfield, & Donny Hathaway.

3. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Just picked this up a few days ago and am loving it. So old school.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Very old school. Even the recording sounds old school. I like the songs.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I should've known you'd be the first to reply Jim.

Otis, Wilson, Aretha, Marvin and Stevie.

6. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    Saadiq is a top notch player!!!!

Listen to "Instant Vintage"!!!!

glad to see he's gettin some cred!

Mint Condition anyone?

FWIW... I went the other way, old school to new school.... some of the "Impressions" tunes are pure soul!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I cannot quit listening to this. Everyday, all day. Over and over and over again.

It's just that good.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, still listening to this constantly!! Raphael does piano, vocal, bass, and guitar and most, (perhaps all, I believe), tracks.

GO GET THIS ALBUM ALL!

I will regularly bump this thread to shamelessly promote it.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Finally...I picked this up (along with the new Holland 6-tet album).

Something I have noticed & I think someone maybe mentioned this-
    The album sounds fine on my home stereo...through an iPod & those earbuds? Too much of a low end thing happening.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I noticed that too. On the surface, it has an old school sound, but in reality, the bass and drums are mixed much higher than they ever were in Motown recordings.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No doubt. I don't mind a hot mix for the bass & drums...but this is low end pumped up like a Hip-Hop record. The Brand New Heavies' latest (from a couple years back) had a similar boost on selected cuts.

"Staying In Love" has a few Jamerson-isms going on...the overall vibe of this tune reminds me of the 4 Tops...other cuts smack of The Temptations.
    "Sure Hope You Mean It" is Marvin...a shuffle in the style of "How Sweet It Is".

Noted, too, is the guitars' functions:
    One is playing chords...another is sometimes doubling the main bass figure & another is sometimes playing a counter melody of sorts.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree on all counts. Just remember that Hip Hop has changed the wat people expect drumjs to be heard. The thumping mix is pretty standard for a dancefloor response nowadays.

I love "Staying in Love" ! It does put me in the mind of a "Bernadette" sort of bassline.:)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I know. Listening to low end thump from an iPod is annoyong, IMO.
    ...maybe "House-Mix" versions should have been included?
    ;)

14. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Rapheal CD is this year's best IMO.

15. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I'm late to this party but just picked up the album and love it! Good stuff beginning to end (and it sounds great too).

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Kinda late, eh? ;)

This is still on my Need To Buy list.

17. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    There was a transcription of STAYING IN LOVE in last month's Bass Player Magazine for anyone who wants to check it out - (that was the one with Phil LEsh on the cover - May)

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

In response to this string of conversations, I also think that our medium for playing music has changed mixing. Because so many people are listening to music on tiny ear buds most of the time, instead of the 5 foot tall speakers I have always known, levels are boosted to accommodate. I've noticed this in general with music in the digital age. On an otherwise amazing album, this is certainly a bummer. But, it's still the best R&B album I've heard since 1971 and "What's Going On?"