1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raphael Saadiq

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anyone here into Raphael Saadiq, the old Toni Tony Tone bassist and singer? The last ten or so years, he has mainly ben into production, but he has a new CD out today, and it should be great. I heard some previews on the Ton Joyner Morning Show yesterday, and he is really going for that Motown/Sixties sort of vibe. Needless to say, Brother is killin' that P-bass!:cool:

ERicks likes this.
  2. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Got it. So far, it sounds great. It's about to make me revisit some Toni Tony Tone, I almost forgot about those guys.

3. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Saw him the other night on Jay Leno. Interesting style choice. VERY 60's stax/motown style -- down to his hair choice and gold suit! I was not completely thrilled with the song, but I will definitely check out the new album. Ray is a KILLER bassist as well as producer.

I recently heard a demo tape that Ray produced for a former schoolmate of mine (who also happens to be Larry Graham's son). Production was first rate and the groove was tight!! Ray is the man!

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Raphael will be doing a VH-1 Soul Stage (like Erykah Badu did) pretty soon. He will be performing material from his new CD as well as a few 3T hits.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've had some time to take this CD in and once I got used to the totally retro sound, I really have begun to enjoy it. Saadiq totally got into the Motown vibe and he nails his parts. The song "Staying In Love" channels Jamerson so much it is almost scary.:D

This CD is a total bass workout for groove, IMO.:bassist:

6. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    +1.........Check out Instant Vintage and Ray-Ray if you haven't already.......He also did the infammous Untitled track on D'Angelo's Voodoo album...........the presence the bass has on that track is powerful indeed.......he was on the radio saying that he is helping D' with his next album....very much looking forward to it...........:D

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yeah, I really want to hear the new D'Angelo when it is ready!:hyper:

8. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    "he was on the radio saying that he is helping D' with his next album....very much looking forward to it..........."

Did he by any chance mention any sort of time frame? I've been anxiously awaiting D'Angelo to release his next record for a while now. I know he had some crazy things going on in his personal life - so he should have plenty to write about.

9. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Six years and counting ......:rollno:.....All he said was they were working on it.......D' gained about 200-300 pounds and had some legal stuff to sort out but according to Ray, he's about 30 heavier than he wants to be (about what he weighed when we last we saw him).........I really can't wait...D' is like "Black Elvis" to me........:D

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Lucy Pearl album also has a lot of Saadig's funk all over it!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is my favorite bassline on the Saadiq's new CD:

12. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    he's a freaking genius and that new joint showcases it.

mad respect for saadiq.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Has anyone actually seen him play bass live?

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Youtube connection is acting up, but there are few clips of him on bass there.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I picked up Raphael's live discs a few years back hoping he played bass on them, but it was Preston Crump & Elijah Baker handling bass duties on it. They played great, but I was hoping for some Saadig grease.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    hey DW, I found some clips of Raphael on bass:

The second clip is much nicer.

Jhengsman likes this.
  17. missnu

missnu

Aug 13, 2008
    Central, FL
    Saw Tony! Toni! Toné! live back in the early 90's in concert in Jacksonville. Cross Colours were the clothes, BK's were the shoes, but the music has hung with me since then. His ability and skill on Bass is phenomenal.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I checked out that longer clip again and I see that Saadiq has a big foam mute by the bridge on his P-bass. As I said in another post of mine, slap and the bright sound is dead in contemporary r&b. I don't mind, after about 15 years of sequencers, I'm just glad to have the bass back.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Noooooo...............don't say that!! :eek: Bright sound, maybe but not slap. It must live on as must funk!

fergbass likes this.
  20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    damn, thats making me want to pick up that 83 ri pbass in the classifieds