Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rapist wins lottery

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joey3313, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
  2. and think, there are people that deserve that money, and a rapist wins :scowl:

3. Thats poopy.

4. I don't see the big deal about it being in the news. Being a rapist doesn't exempt you from the lottery. Should it of gone to someone else? Probably, but he won fair and square.

5. Its just kind of odd...

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its not like the guy hasn't served his time...he's be in jail since 89...thats what, 15 years and he is still technically incarcerated!

I guess thats why its called "luck" and not "fate" :)

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Experts believe that Hoare could now be forced to pay compensation to his victims. -- sounds fair to me:)

8. And should stupid people who win the lottery have to pay money to schools?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And "unhealthy" people would have to pay their lottery win to the National Health Service?

This story was kind of balanced out at the time, by a heartwarming story about a woman suffering with cancer, who forgot to even check and won a double roll over - only after TV reminders that nobody had claimed! :)

10. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Someone who is stupid or unhealthy can hardly be considered in the same category as someone who accumulated multiple rapes and forced sexual assaults on innocent people against their will. If those victims can now sue him for his winnings, I say more power to them and I hope they clean him out. You would hope so too if one of the victims was a friend or family member of yours. Sure he's been punished, but now that he's "gotten lucky", a little restitution to his victims who previously received nothing but grief and trauma as a result of his intentional actions against them is fine by me.

11. Fair enough if that will help bring closure for them. It *is* sad/unfair that somebody like this gets "lucky". I'm just pointing out that there are other "undeserving" people who get equally "lucky" on the lottery. The chances for anyone winning the lottery are huge. But they're equal for everybody regardless of merit or deservedness.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I don't see how money can make any difference to the victim in this case - the way people pay for their crimes is by serving their sentence!

Having said that - I disagree with the whole concept of the National Lottery - basically it is a Tax on those who are generally poor enough already and can see no way out of that poverty, due to their circumstances.

I believe that Tax should be levied directly proportionately to ability to pay - i.e. the more you earn, the more you pay - not the other way round!! :meh:

A lot of people who can't afford it, get addicted and it causes a lot of misery. Also I think it's a sad indictment on a society where people only look forward to winning something that they haven't earned, when they know logically that they have less chance of winning, than being hit by an asteroid!!

I see it as the ultimate proof of "dumbing-down"....:meh:

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Lottery = tax for the mathematically challenged

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Amen to that, kserg..........and what about paying back the taxpayers who kept this scum alive everyday in prison at their hard-earned expense ???

15. well said.

16. yep, well said

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well you could say the same about unemployed people who win the lottery, or someone who has never worked, due to an icapacitating illness or injury - they are entireley supported and "kept alive" by taxpayers as well! :meh:

What if the person was in prison, but the victim of a miscarriage of justice - maybe we should have given him the death penalty first and then claimed the winnings back!!??

Luckily - as we are talking about the UK - there is no death penalty... ;)

18. There is no incentive for fulltime workers who are in a higher tax bracket to work overtime and for second jobs because they cop the 'Tax' pineapple right where it don't fit. There should be a flat rate across the board for everyone. people earning more money shouldn't have to pay more tax. It's all proportional. The people earning more probably worked or studied hard to get where they are now, good for them, there reward is more money. If people earning less want more money, well they can go study ect to improve their skills and get a better job. You create your own destiny regarding occupation.

19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Good for him.

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Point #1 - No one, (or very few), wish to be unemployed, AFAIK.
    Point #2 - No one wishes to have an incapating illness/injury. Everyone, for the most part, wants a purpose in life, no matter what their condition. Even if it means stuffing envelopes.

Ever seen a person in a wheelchair who has gotten up at 5 a.m. so they can catch a bus to make it to work by 9 am.???? I guess not.

I know many of them - they aren't looking for a "free pass." Maybe they do in England, based on your input.

"Miscarriage of justice"???? - How many rapes does this guy have to commit to be considered an "offender"???? This ******* wasn't a one-time horny in college..........he was a repeat offender!!!!

Jeez. Bruce, I almost always agree with your input, but I think you're way off base this time. Perhaps you should move to California. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.